New! Get a huge 64-region Kitely world running on its own ALWAYS-ON dedicated server for just $149.95/month

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Re: New! Get a huge 64-region Kitely world running on its own ALWAYS-ON dedicated server for just $149.95/month

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Graham,

Yes, as explained in the FAQ in the blog post announcement, Dedicated Server worlds are prorated the same as all our other world types.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Graham MillsAda RadiusAlexina ProctorGregg LegendarySelby Evans
Ada Radius

Re: New! Get a huge 64-region Kitely world running on its own ALWAYS-ON dedicated server for just $149.95/month

Post by Ada Radius »

WOW

hmm so it's $150/month for 64 always-on connected high prim sims in Kitely, vs over $19K for the same space iSL, ya I'd say that's competitive.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerAlexina ProctorGregg LegendaryChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

It's one VarRegion that is up to 64 regions in size and contains up to 180,000 prim, which isn't the same as 64 separate SL sims each with 22,500 prims. But that's still a small fraction of what SL charges and our offer is for a single huge continues world running on its own dedicated server, unlike SL which places multiple sims per server.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Alexina ProctorGregg LegendaryAda RadiusSnoots DwagonChris Namaste
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

A question was asked 2 weeks ago at the community meeting about these regions ... i musta missed the answer... it was about how you increased the time out thingy,, the question was if the regions always on why is there a timeout even now?

thanks in advance
These users thanked the author Gregg Legendary for the post:
Chris Namaste
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

At a guess it's because avatars result in additional bandwidth (and a cost Kitely still has to cover on top of the world-running resources) even when they aren't doing things. So it makes sense to log them out if the person behind them is afk for an extended period of time.

But note that the new dedicated-server worlds have greatly extended "user idle timeouts", changing from 1 hour (or 2 hours for the world owner) to 3 hours for everyone.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerGregg LegendaryAda RadiusAlexina ProctorSelby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Dot, that is exactly correct :-)
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Gregg LegendaryAda Radius
Baschar Gibran

Post by Baschar Gibran »

Hello All ;)

first, my english is very bad, i hope everyone understand me.

so, iam not a technic guy about this server and script toys.. so i understand it not, im here for play a little bit ;)

i have buy a 4 region sim, so the new server have now 64 regions? 60 more than my one ?

ok so i look:

4 regions have 60 000 prims, 40 Avatars, 2 GB, 19.95 dollar
Advanced world:
16 Regions, 120 000 prims, 80 Avatars, 4 GB, 39.95 dollar
new server:
64 Regions, 180 000 Prims, 80 Avatars, 7 GB, 149.95 dollar

so i have 15 000 prims per region, advanced have 7500 per region, new server have only 2812,2 per region and same avatars like advanced world and only 3 GB more.

for me looks this like a not so good thing, price is 3,5 more than a advanced one,

my question 1) what is so much better on this new server?

Question 2 ) can i my buildings and all on my sim on this other ones move, without all items back in inventory and new rezz and build on the new ones?

ty ;)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Hello Baschar -- Welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions:

1 What is so much better on the new server?
  • The world is always on, so no waiting in the Transfer Station while your world fires up
  • The amount of space you get with 64 regions is equivalent to 16 2x2 worlds -- ideal if you like sailing or you want to make your own "mainland" with scenery to explore by vehicle or even by foot
  • The amount of space means you can spread out different environments at ground level and not have them visually intrude on each other (the alternative would be sky builds at different levels on smaller worlds)
  • You can sell/rent land out on the new server option and on the Advanced World but not on Standard worlds
  • They are ideal for building communities -- for example, Tessin, Coopersville and Wellspring all use these new servers
I'm sure others can add to this list...

2 Can I move everything on my sim to a new server without all the items going back in inventory and me having to rez them again and build on the new one?
YES! (and this will also work if you decide on an Advanced World rather than a new server)...
  • First make an World Archive of your current build (go to https://www.kitely.com/myworlds and click "Manage", choose the "Files" tab at the top, then click "Export". When it is ready, download the file to your computer.
  • Now go back to the "Basic" tab and click on "Change world type". This opens another panel -- this should enable you to change your current Standard World to an Advanced World or a Dedicated Server (or downgrade it to a Stored World, but then you won't be able to visit it after the end of the month). Click on the option you want.
  • You'll need to pay the difference in rental to the end of the month -- Kitely charges all this "pro-rata". Once the payment goes through you'll see that the "Current Type" is changed to the option you chose, but the "World Size" is still 4 regions (2x2).
  • The next step is to resize the world. Go back to the "Basic" tab and click "Change world size".
  • Choose the new size from the dropdown menu list, and whether you want the added regions to be flat land at 21m OR ocean (my preference -- looks a lot better!)
  • Click the arrow keys to move the current build to where you would like it to be on the resized world
  • Click "Resize", and the magic will happen. It will take a while, but the results are definitely worth it.
To be honest, if you're not yet sure whether a dedicated server is what you need, I would start with upgrading to an Advanced World. That gives you four times the space and is easier to manage if you don't need the other aspects of the dedicated server. It also will give you practice in using the very powerful Kitely tools for manipulating worlds and builds should you decide to go for a dedicated server later. An Advanced 4x4 World can be upgraded to a Dedicated 8x8 Server using exactly the same method as given above.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsIlan TochnerBaschar Gibran
Baschar Gibran

Post by Baschar Gibran »

Hello Dot, much thanks :)

ok i understand the most, but Im a bad builder and no bussiness guy so the new server is not for ppl like me ;)

your answer to question 2 . hm ok i think you are a profi, my builds are not all ftom me, i have many build with ZedLaps items so is not transfer or export , i think this itrems go than not move to example advanced world,.. i try now many month build on my sim, and i wand not start again on a new one lol

but many, many thanks ;)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Baschar,

Upgrading your world's type or increasing its size doesn't remove anything from your world. You don't have to export your world to change its type or resize it. In other words, you don't need to worry about the world's contents being affected by what permissions you have for them when you change the world's type or increase its size.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Baschar Gibran