Verifying log in and teleport issues

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ada Radius

Re: Verifying log in and teleport issues

Post by Ada Radius »

When we log into Firestorm, depending on how Preferences are set up, we can select any of the landmarks that we've previously stashed in our Favorites folder. They also display at the top of the screen. When I try to log in directly to, for example, my shop at Wellspring, it's taking that information from the landmark in my Favorites folder. Since Wellspring converted to always-on, logging in this way dumps me in the ocean, and I forgot to note the exact location. Teleporting from there via Favorites gets me to my shop. Logging on to Home gets me to my Home location fine.

Sorry - the avatar issue is what I saw in Snoots' snapshot - two sets of mesh attachments showing when one should have been removed and the other put on. That's what it looked like, anyway. It has been happening to me lately, but only if I've been hypergridding to other grids, changing mesh attachments in that grid, and hypergridding back. Clearing cache and relogging fixes it, though one of my mesh body parts is still rezzing strangely on login - turned sideways - until I've rebaked a few times. I didn't check to see if the attachment points got borked, I'll check next time I log in.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAlexina ProctorChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

Please send me the landmark you mentioned so we'll be able to test it ourselves and attach the coordinates it should teleport you to when you use it during login.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

What Ada describes above is zactly what I've been speaking of (at least, one of the issues). Her experience matches mine precisely. As a note: I upgraded all of my Favorites landmarks when Wellspring became a Megaworld.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Alexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please reproduce the avatar problem, then report:
1) The name of the avatar this effected and the time the problem manifested.
2) What grid you teleported back from.
3) The full inventory path of the avatar you wore before you teleported to that grid.
4) The full inventory path of the avatar you switched to when you visited the third-party grid.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We've investigated the two issues you reported:

The login issue is due to a simple viewer bug, we'll inform the Firestorm team about it.

The avatar issue is more complicated to deal with.

We're currently working on integrating patches from OpenSim 0.9.2 in order to support EEP. We'll work on fixes for these issues once we're done with that system update.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Alexina ProctorAda RadiusSnoots DwagonDot MatrixChris Namaste
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I looked at it again this morning too. Logging into Wellspring via Favorites takes me to several locations underwater (ty Snoots for putting your Terraport Pad at one of them!), then I can use the same landmark to get to the right location. I tried it at another always-on world, Creative Collaborators, and landed under water there as well. It looks as though we get dumped to the nearest ocean floor from the landmark.

By comparison, logging into Kitely Merchants Sandbox or worlds other than always-on worlds, via Favorites, takes me to the transfer station, then to the right location.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAlexina ProctorChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The login coordinates problem has to do with wrong assumptions made by the viewer developers as to what is a valid coordinate inside a region. It looks like those assumptions aren't made during teleporting just during login, which is why the problem can occur during login and not during teleports made after you're already logged in.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusChris Namaste
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Additional information: When I logged in to Wellspring today from the Viewer screen, I landed at the right place this time. However as mentioned prior, my avatar was invisible. Based on the suggestion to remove items one at a time to see if one was interfering, I opened my inventory. What I found was that the avatar hadn't been worn when I logged in. Further, I couldn't wear any item, nor did Replace Current Outfit have any effect. However when I wore another avatar, it wore fine. When I tried to wear the regular avatar, it refused to wear.

When I relogged, I was able to wear the regular avatar without problem.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusChris Namaste
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Regarding the problem of teleports not going to the correct location:

I have found that Firestorm has a bug in how it creates SLURL's. It assumes that all regions are 256x256 meters, and as a result if you try to create an SLURL for locations above (256x256) the SLURL will end up pointing to the wrong location.

When you move a Landmark into your Favorites, Firestorm converts the Landmark to an SLURL. Since the SLURL is wrong, trying to use the Favorite lands you in the wrong location. But if you use the Landmark in-world then the Favorite isn't consulted, and the Landmark *does* have the correct coordinates, so it works fine.

I have submitted a patch to the Firestorm developers, and hopefully it will be included in the next release. See: FIRE-30768 - [PATCH] SLURL's don't work in VarRegions, for positions above 256 meters.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 4):
Dot MatrixAda RadiusSnoots DwagonChris Namaste
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

AHA, thank you Oren! So if an avatar goes to the transfer station first, the Favorites works, because the viewer is reading it as a landmark at the transfer station.

Easy workaround for now: don't use Favorites for logging into mega worlds. Silly viewer made a bad SLURL.

Are there other situations where the viewer is making a SLURL? I know that we were plagued with audience and crew landing at wrong locations for the last ART show we did in Kitely, until we persuaded our set builder to move a wall to clear a couple of meters around 128,128,22, and make sure there was ground under the cobblestones. But I didn't have time to find out what ways and from where.

And ya, Kitely needs its own alternate viewer, one that's so awesome that peeps is going to want to be here instead of there and young children will only shudder when they hear about the bad old days. I am not holding my breath, I am treading water :D
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Snoots Dwagon