Verifying log in and teleport issues

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Snoots Dwagon

Verifying log in and teleport issues

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I've been semi-tracking log in and teleport issues on worlds of various kinds. Primary worlds of consideration were Kitely Welcome, Wellspring and Tessin.

On several occasions I've logged in and my avatar has been completely invisible and remained invisible. Changing to a different avatar corrected this problem, but if I changed back to the avatar I logged in with... I would become invisible again. This has happened on all three worlds.

Today this happened on Wellspring. Just so happened there was another avatar there checking out one of our Freebie stores... someone I knew. I changed my avatar to become visible. I could tell she was active because of gestures made while examining the freebies. I said "Hello". No response. I said "Nice freebies here huh?" No response. I figured the user must be distracted, so I waited. After a minute or so she turned my direction... then walked right past me, almost walking over me. It was evident she could neither read my chat nor see my avatar. I could see myself and see my own chat, but both were evidently invisible to the environment.

On Tessin today I ported in to the main Dock area. When I landed on the ground, I was immediately ported to a location under the ground elsewhere on Tessin. I have seen this happen before on both Tessin and Wellspring. I returned to the Dock area and checked to see if there was scripting involved (I knew there wasn't, but checked anyway). I then landed and all seemed fine. I then used Tessins teleport board to visit another area... and wound up in the same location under the ground. I teleported back to the dock and landed without incident.

There have been several such incidents, both in logging in from the Firestorm Viewer splashpage "Destinations" option... using FAVORITES buttons, or teleport signs within worlds. Each method of porting has from time to time resulted in erratic behavior as described above. So I would have to mark this as "issue verified" from my own experience. There does seem to be login and teleport problems.

These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Re: Verifying log in and teleport issues

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

What you're describing are two different issues, neither one of which having to do with login or teleport per say:
1) Having an invisible avatar.
2) Having something trigger a teleport after you've entered the world.

An invisible avatar can occur when you intentionally or accidentally change its alpha mask. The fact that you can switch between the invisible avatar and other avatars that aren't invisible indicates that this is likely the cause in your case as well. What I suggest you do is switch to the visible avatar then start wearing components of your invisible avatar until you become invisible. This will help you find which component is the culprit and needs to be modified.

The teleport issue you're encountering could be due to a script in those worlds or one that is attached to your own avatar (switch using the Replace Current outfit option in order to remove any scripted attachments you may be wearing). Try entering these worlds with a different avatar and see if the teleports are triggered. Then check the teleport boards themselves, if those worlds were resized it's possible that the boards need to be recalibrated with new coordinates. You can also try deactivating scripts on your world and seeing if the teleports are still triggered when you touch the ground.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

The invisible avatar has happened on more than one occasion, on more than one avatar. Since I wear these avatars regularly and am totally visible, I believe this to be a bug in the system rather than an avatar component. Add to that the fact that these components have been used for years successfully.

Teleport issue isn't a script attached to my avatar. Being a scripter I'm very aware of every script I wear and how they work. Nothing there to influence teleporting.

I agree with your thought that the teleport board could be a holdover from pre-megaworld days that needs to be updated. I'll mention that to Trouble. But the login directly from the Viewer splash had the same result... and didn't involve any scripting.
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Here's a photo that could be related to this issue or might be another issue entirely. Main similarity is it has to do with log-in.

Logged in to Wellspring directly. The last two avatars I've worn were merged.
Attachments
Merged two avatars.jpg
Merged two avatars.jpg (225.26 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The login from the viewer login page is to the landing point defined by the world. If that area is access restricted then you may be teleported from that location to a location outside that restricted parcel.

Regarding having both avatars appear one on top of the other, please use the Replace Current Outfit option instead of the wear option when switching avatars. This is especially true for mesh-based avatars.

As for the invisible avatar, please try clearing both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache to see if this has any effect.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:13 am
The login from the viewer login page is to the landing point defined by the world. If that area is access restricted then you may be teleported from that location to a location outside that restricted parcel.

Regarding having both avatars appear one on top of the other, please use the Replace Current Outfit option instead of the wear option when switching avatars. This is especially true for mesh-based avatars.

As for the invisible avatar, please try clearing both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache to see if this has any effect.
I'm an Estate Manager with full privileges, so I'm doubting it's a restricted access issue... especially since it's the Wellspring Welcome Center. However I will double-check that and make sure.

I always use the Replace Current Outfit function. Each of my avatars has its own individual folder, all within a singular AVATARS folder.

Will clear Viewer and Inventory Cache. I've been finding that's a good idea from time to time, as it seems that cache gets easily confused. (That of course, is a Viewer issue.)

Thanks Ilan.
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

An interesting note Ilan:

To test these things I logged in from the Viewer, indicating Weefolk Township in Wellspring as my landing point. (Of course I have a zillion percent access to Weefolk Township.)

I wound up at Wellspring <251,187,1>.

What is interesting... is that when I had the login teleport problems on Tessin... those are the exact same coordinates I wound up on Tessin.

As both of these are 8x8 megaworlds... I'm thinking there's possibly a bug. ;)
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I'm having the same problem re getting dumped in the ocean on Wellspring. I told Alex about it. It's only happening when I try to log in via Favorites to a megaworld. Once I'm in the megaworld, using a landmark, including Favorites landmarks, gets me to the right location.

The avatar issues are only happening if I hypergrid, change my avatar from stuff in my suitcase while on another grid, and hypergrid back home. Or log out and next time, log in to another grid or to Home. Taking everything off (it'll show up as not worn in inventory though still look as though it's on in the viewer), clearing cache and relogging fixes it.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

What do you mean by "trying to log in via Favorites"? Do you mean after you're already logged in to a different world? Or are you referring to using the <type region name> option in the viewer login page?

When you say the avatar issues happen, what is the exact issue you're referring to?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

When we log into Firestorm, depending on how Preferences are set up, we can select any of the landmarks that we've previously stashed in our Favorites folder. They also display at the top of the screen. When I try to log in directly to, for example, my shop at Wellspring, it's taking that information from the landmark in my Favorites folder. Since Wellspring converted to always-on, logging in this way dumps me in the ocean, and I forgot to note the exact location. Teleporting from there via Favorites gets me to my shop. Logging on to Home gets me to my Home location fine.

Sorry - the avatar issue is what I saw in Snoots' snapshot - two sets of mesh attachments showing when one should have been removed and the other put on. That's what it looked like, anyway. It has been happening to me lately, but only if I've been hypergridding to other grids, changing mesh attachments in that grid, and hypergridding back. Clearing cache and relogging fixes it, though one of my mesh body parts is still rezzing strangely on login - turned sideways - until I've rebaked a few times. I didn't check to see if the attachment points got borked, I'll check next time I log in.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Alexina Proctor