Welcome Center: Optimum size?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Constance Peregrine

Re: Welcome Center: Optimum size?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Sarge Misfit wrote:
I'll import a segment of that roadway you like, Miney, and will put it someplace for people to check it out and take a copy of if they want. It has sidewalks as well as road and it is rather easy to setup.
cool...and i hope they do look at it-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sheera Khan

Post by Sheera Khan »

The whole discussion rises a question for me: do we have an effective distance culling algorithm in place? If not then every texture which might come into the field of view has to be downloaded, every single object making updates transmits its data and so on. This can lead to lag and to an increased bandwith usage which might hurt those without flatrates. It's not too long ago that in SL and at least one other grid the customers were experiencing high data volumes and some had to restrict their online times dramatically. This effect might be increasing with larger welcome areas.

In addition I'ld like to point out that I just feel the same "mistake" showing up: cramming everything into the welcome area. For the purpose intended I'ld vote for a single region mosty consisting of water with a spot focused on the immediate needs of newcomers, be them experienced or truely new to VW: information, support and the possibility to individualize (that doesn't have to be a big freebie shop). A place for "veterans" to hangout would increase the probability of meeting between old and new residents. A push button (call for support in different languages) sending an IM to supporters might be sufficient though.

If Kitely kindly sponsors more region than that one I'd advocate for putting them aside out of view from the starting point. Fill them with different themes and content as discussed in other threads and as shown in our current plaza - the idea of a train or some other vehicle running around a 3x3 megaregion would be totally awesome to visitors from other opensim-based grids. Let the newcomers discover the new and fascinating possibilities starting from points they are interested in. The Welcome center could serve as a switch to redirect new arrivals in the direction of their individual interests. I.e. someone most interested in individualizing his/her avatar could be led to a "store region". The railway running between the stores would then surely attract the person and lead to the discovery of the other aspects of Kitely. Same for people interested in other aspects. Let the welcome center be the place where they decide what's most interesting to them "now" and get them to the place where that special interest is featured. If they find what they are looking for they will be interested in looking for more. And a railway (or any other method of transportation) promises just about that: getting them to new places which might be equally interesting and fascinating.

PS.: I'm no native english speaker and have some difficulties expressing my concerns and thoughts so I attribute any mistakes to my lack of skills in english grammar and vocablary ;-)
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Here is a terrible idea...

could have a 3x3 with all the usual welcoming stuff, and the bottom left corner could change by uploading a featured oar every so often..

I do like the idea of a transit system, but they rarely work WELL, it would be nice though :) I want one myself, heh.

Personally, a 2x2 is a more comfy relaxing size, it's big "enough", but not overwhelmingly big.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Constance Peregrine

Sheera Khan wrote:The whole discussion rises a question for me: do we have an effective distance culling algorithm in place? If not then every texture which might come into the field of view has to be downloaded, every single object making updates transmits its data and so on. This can lead to lag and to an increased bandwith usage which might hurt those without flatrates. It's not too long ago that in SL and at least one other grid the customers were experiencing high data volumes and some had to restrict their online times dramatically. This effect might be increasing with larger welcome areas.

In addition I'ld like to point out that I just feel the same "mistake" showing up: cramming everything into the welcome area. For the purpose intended I'ld vote for a single region mosty consisting of water with a spot focused on the immediate needs of newcomers, be them experienced or truely new to VW: information, support and the possibility to individualize (that doesn't have to be a big freebie shop). A place for "veterans" to hangout would increase the probability of meeting between old and new residents. A push button (call for support in different languages) sending an IM to supporters might be sufficient though.

If Kitely kindly sponsors more region than that one I'd advocate for putting them aside out of view from the starting point. Fill them with different themes and content as discussed in other threads and as shown in our current plaza - the idea of a train or some other vehicle running around a 3x3 megaregion would be totally awesome to visitors from other opensim-based grids. Let the newcomers discover the new and fascinating possibilities starting from points they are interested in. The Welcome center could serve as a switch to redirect new arrivals in the direction of their individual interests. I.e. someone most interested in individualizing his/her avatar could be led to a "store region". The railway running between the stores would then surely attract the person and lead to the discovery of the other aspects of Kitely. Same for people interested in other aspects. Let the welcome center be the place where they decide what's most interesting to them "now" and get them to the place where that special interest is featured. If they find what they are looking for they will be interested in looking for more. And a railway (or any other method of transportation) promises just about that: getting them to new places which might be equally interesting and fascinating.

PS.: I'm no native english speaker and have some difficulties expressing my concerns and thoughts so I attribute any mistakes to my lack of skills in english grammar and vocablary ;-)
hey Sheera-))))

I think you speak really good english, actually.

I also think you have mostly stated what the direction of this is going in, but said in other words.

I also don't think anyone has advocated for a lot of stuff in close proximity to the landing spot...but, rather, discussion has flowed more into a spread out concept.

Ilan had already mentioned the possibility for a 3x3 and

I STILL THINK IT SHOULD BE DONE FOLX!!! lol

I think the general discussion has flowed towards a type of sightseeing tour of sorts, with paths and /or some kind of transportation system to other places a person may choose to go see.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I really like the idea of exploring, paths, walkways, open space, plenty of time to get USED to the place..
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

In the event that anyone is interested in my HoverRoad, I have imported one of its sections and added instructions on how to place them.

[url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Regio%20Excelsior/128/128/502[/url]

And I double checked, it (and the box with instruction notecard) have been set to Anyone Copy :-D
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Constance Peregrine

Sarge Misfit wrote:In the event that anyone is interested in my HoverRoad, I have imported one of its sections and added instructions on how to place them.

[url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Regio%20Excelsior/128/128/502[/url]

And I double checked, it (and the box with instruction notecard) have been set to Anyone Copy :-D
having seen photos of this, I am VERY interested, just not yet...lol...i dont want added inv right now-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

You know, using a 3x3 mega would allow for the building of a city, over time. Add featured builds for people to visit, a City Hall for the Kitely meetings. Maybe a stadium where we could have events, from sports and gladitorial to concerts and machinima movies. In fact, it would allow for the growth of neighbourhoods. SteamPunk, Fae, Old Chicago, Sci-fi and so on
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I think a 2x2 world is the maximum that should be considered. Here is why:
1) Folks from SL aren't going to be impressed with something big--they are used to huge regions, it's no biggy.
2) A 3x3 region is inevitably just going to get junked up. The temptation for people to say, "But Iiiiiiilaaaaaaan, there is so much space here! Can't we use that bit over there for this little project." I don't doubt that Ilan can stay strong, but frankly, why should he have to go through that hassle?--and eventually, most people would get worn down. If the place gets junked up again, the whole purpose of the rebuild is defeated.

Ok, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

the point is, sl, and no other commercial grid, has megas..it is not simply 9 regions, it is MEGAS...

and there is no reason whatsoever to conclude that it will get filled up at all...

anywho, I just want to see Kitely show off it's major assets...if not, that's ok also-))

Ephemeral wanderer...