Group Titles Erratic

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Snoots Dwagon

Group Titles Erratic

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I've noticed lately in switching between group titles... the resultant title will be erratic.

As a rough example:

I switch to SENDALONDE LIBRARY role OFFICER and it shows me as Sendalonde VIP.

I switch to SHIPWRIGHTS GUILD role CAPTAIN and it shows me as Ship Captain.

I switch to SENDALONDE LIBRARAY role EVERYONE and it shows me as Sendalonde VIP.

In short... switching between roles gives inconsistent results, and can mis-apply a title to another role.

This is happening regularly and is easy to confirm by switching between groups and roles.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Selby EvansIlan TochnerAlexina ProctorChris Namaste
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Re: Group Titles Erratic

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

The question is whether the correct value is shown after a viewer restart, or to other people just opening the group profile, because if it is then it's likely that your viewer simply isn't updated in time due to such messages being sent over UDP and packet prioritization making things erratic.
Iain McCracken

Post by Iain McCracken »

I have noticed this too, and thought it was just me. I get the same thing, using the Group Titles dialog to activate titles. If you have Group A role X active, switch to any other group, then switch to Group A, role Y, the tag you're wearing is still role X. This is consistent and repeatable, and unlikely to be missing a UDP packet. Unless the same packet is missed all the time.
These users thanked the author Iain McCracken for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Iain,

Does the correct group role get displayed after you restart your viewer?
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

With respect, " it's likely that your viewer simply isn't updated in time due to such messages being sent over UDP and packet prioritization making things erratic"... really isn't acceptable. It's data. If the UDP isn't working... someone needs to check the spark plugs. ;)

I haven't checked to see if the title is retained over a relog (who wants to relog to change a group role? I often change roles several times a day). However that is predictably a test that needs to be run to see how extensive this bug goes. But there's no doubt about it: it is a bug.

The only time I've noticed consistent error in this area is when changing titles within the same group. In such case even on SL I need to switch to a different group and then back to my new desired title in the desired group (which yes, is also a bug, or at least a malfunction). But in this case though, it's applying the wrong title to a role and retaining that title... which should never happen. An Everyone role showing up as a "VIP Officer" is of course problematic. (Not that this would happen unless one is already an officer. It's just an example.)

I have no time or energy tonight to test this further, but I'll see what I can do in the upcoming days. Bug magnet at your service. 8-)
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Alexina Proctor
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Answering the questions I asked is important for determining the source of this problem: the viewer, OpenSim, networking, etc. Please let me know once you've run these tests.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I finally had a chance to test this on Kitely. I was skipping about group titles and returned to a title that should have shown "Captain" and instead it showed "Owner". (I had previously changed from owner to Captain.). I immediately logged off, logged back in, and the proper title of Captain showed. So yes, relogging does "fix" it. But who wants to have to relog to change a group title?

This problem does not occur on SL. However, there is some issue there. To change one's title within a group, one needs to first switch to another group and use the role changer to return to the first group with the changed title. However relogging is not required. It is noted that Firestorm is being used on both SL and Kitely, so it's difficult to determine the source of the problem: whether it's Opensim, Kitely, Firestorm, or a combination.

I have not had a chance to check this on other OS grids.
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

On a whim I tested this on OSgrid. Works consistently there (even better than on SL).

Tested on DigiWorldz. Worked like SL; had to switch between groups and back to change title, but didn't require relog.

The need to relog seems unique to Kitely.
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Have you checked this in Kitely Welcome Center, i.e. change group then change group again to see if the group title changes? If this is handled like many other forms of updates sent to the viewer then message prioritization may be at play, which means that this would be less responsive in heavily built regions than in ones that are more optimized.
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Huh... today I'm getting totally different results than in the prior tests. Now Kitely is working like SL. One has to switch to another group and back to change titles, but it doesn't require a logoff. I tested it both on Kitely Welcome and on Wellspring: same results. No idea why the test results changed. From the time I originally posted this forum until today, logoff was required. Now it seems to work (at least today). The data logic would probably put Spock in a coma. :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Ilan Tochner
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~