Annoying debug messages.

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Kayaker Magic

Annoying debug messages.

Post by Kayaker Magic »

At the last Community Meeting, we were all spammed by one of those annoying script debug messages. Those have always been sent to every avatar in a region, instead of just the owner of the script. Some time ago Ubit (the main OpenSim developer) added a switch to the INI files to only send those messages to the owner, but the previous annoying behavior is the default for hysterical reasons.
I propose that Kitely include this option in their branch, if it is not there already, and then set it to true to prevent these annoying messages. A few people have suggested that the owner of a region should have the option to turn this back on and off, so that instructors in script classes can tell when their students get errors. I think that is a very infrequent use and the switch can safely be always set to the "don't spam everyone in a region" mode.

The switch is:
PermissionErrorToOwner = true ;default is FALSE which means spam everyone in the region with debug messages

It is set in the osslDefaultEnable.ini file in the [OSSL] section

The changes are all localized to this source file:
OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/Api/Implementation/OSSL_Api.cs
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansRezMela AppsSnoots Dwagon
Ilan Tochner

Re: Annoying debug messages.

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the suggestion Kayaker.

While people just visiting a region might not get any value from other people's error messages, that isn't the case for worlds that are group owned or built by multiple people. If someone's script malfunctions then other people who help build the same world do need to be made aware of it. Most people don't know what those errors mean and how to handle them so having them be broadcast to all the people in the same world can help the people who do understand those messages respond and help the people who rezzed those malfunctioning scripts.

This may not be required in virtual worlds where the people who build worlds are different from the people who just visit them but in OpenSim anyone can rezz a script (if they have the permission to do so) and that can cause issues for anyone in that world. That makes these errors relevant for multiple people, not just the person who rezzed the script.

Does this new feature include the option for group owned objects to notify all the people in the region that belong to that group if there is a script error, or is it limited to just informing the person who rezzed the script?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansRezMela Apps
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I understand and agree with both Kayaker and Ilan. The greatest problem I have with these is that the message often is no help in identifying where and what script is sending the message... or where in the script the error is occurring. In other words, it is a very-basic and unhelpful debug notice system. If it would name the object, script name and line number at which the error occurs that would be great. Instead it's more like saying, "Some OBJECT somewhere is throwing an error. Good luck finding it."

Sometimes makes me wanna nuke my own parcel. ;D
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Ilan Tochner
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I agree Snoots, having OpenSim throw a more informative message is desirable. One stating what object is throwing the message and who owns it.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Snoots Dwagon