New Dedicated Server Pricing

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Zaha Crow

New Dedicated Server Pricing

Post by Zaha Crow »

I am one of the ones who left because on demand didn't work for me. Unfortunately, 150 dollars a month isn't going to work for me either. Will there ever be a time where you might consider a single dedicated sim or 4 sims for less money? :?:
These users thanked the author Zaha Crow for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: New Dedicated Server Pricing

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zaha,

Not in the foreseeable future. Having worlds start up on demand is not just about minimizing our operational costs so we'll be able to afford to provide the amount of server resources that we provide without charging more. It's also about not wasting energy by keeping servers running when no one is using them. In other words, we try to do our bit for helping minimize our environmental impact.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Zaha CrowMorph CommunityStory Link
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Zaha, some of those with "always on" worlds rent out full-sim islands for a very reasonable price. Would one of those meet your needs?

See for example Tessin (https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Tr ... ead/Tessin) and Coopersville (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6282).
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:40 pm
Zaha, some of those with "always on" worlds rent out full-sim islands for a very reasonable price. Would one of those meet your needs?

See for example Tessin (https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Tr ... ead/Tessin) and Coopersville (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6282).
I'm currently renting a sim on Coopersville and the value you get for 5 USD / month is great in my eyes
- however it is not an allways on region (not sure about Tessin) - so loading time is an issue and sometimes it doesn't come up on the first try. I think a renting concept from allways on SIMs is an interesting option for the future. I also miss some features (or I didn't figure our how to do it): Setting home @ the rented space, setting-rights to set media URL's and rights to subdivide a rented parcel (mostly to create regions with different media URLs and different names assigned) -
ah - and one more thing about scripts: I can't run many of my scripts on the rented region as many of them use osScript commands that are limited to execution of the region-owner - it would be great, if that can be amended to include people who have rented (part of) a region.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Min,

Tessin is an always-on world so there's no need to wait for it to start up even if it's currently empty.

To enable people to Set Home you need to set the parcel to a group then have the people who want to Set Home there join that group first.

Parcel owners can use OSSL script functions to set the parcel's music URL, see: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... functions/

The OSSL functions that are not allowed for parcel owners have an unsafe threat level that could cause a lot of potential (intentional or unintentional) grieffing of other people who visit that world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsMin Tigerpaw
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Is Coopersville an always on world? I've experienced something similar to what Min describes even though it is a 64-region world. When entering Coopersville from the viewer login page I often end up in Kitely Transfer Station unless there is someone already in Coopersville.

That doesn't seem to happen with Tessin.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Does it happen if you use the Enter World option on the website and then start the viewer (if that makes sense)?
Dot Matrix wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:17 pm
Is Coopersville an always on world? I've experienced something similar to what Min describes even though it is a 64-region world. When entering Coopersville from the viewer login page I often end up in Kitely Transfer Station unless there is someone already in Coopersville.

That doesn't seem to happen with Tessin.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

Coopersville is a Mega World, which is an on-demand world. Tessin, however, is a Dedicated Server world, which is always on.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Ilan. That explains it. The Megaworld is a grandfathered option. I had forgotten they were not “always on”, but the blogpost about them is clear: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... ga-worlds/

To rent a sim on Tessin (the always on world) costs just $10 a month. Trouble is a very helpful landlady.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerMin TigerpawTrouble Ahead
Trouble Ahead

Post by Trouble Ahead »

For those considering renting a " full sim size parcel" , Tessin is a themed world and not suitable for younger buildings than Victorian age, but a touch of fantasy is permitted. Fitting in the landscape of this world is important, and those who see this as a challenge, will be enjoying a lot creating his or her own atmosphere. To get an impression:

https://tessinkitely.wordpress.com
These users thanked the author Trouble Ahead for the post:
Dot Matrix