Region Stop Time

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Koshari Mahana

Region Stop Time

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Is it possible to have a bit longer before the regions turn off? It's annoying when I crash and then I go to come back on and my region has already turned off and needs to be restarted. I don't know what the time is now but I don't think it's long enough. I think 10 minutes would be a fair amount of time before stopping the world, then you know a person doesn't really plan on coming back soon.
Thanks!
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Ilan Tochner

Re: Region Stop Time

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Koshari,

Our system waits at least 3 minutes from the time it detects the world has become empty until it starts the world shutdown process. The great majority of times this happens is due to people intentionally logging off or teleporting to other worlds. In the cases where the logout was unintentional, the great majority of times people restart their viewer and begin logging back into that world within these alloted 3 minutes. Increasing this system timeout means keeping more servers active for these rare cases, which both wastes electricity and increases our operating expenses, thus leaving us with less resources to invest in improving our service.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Koshari MahanaAda Radius
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thanks, Ilan.

Maybe I'm just more aware of it at times like this when I'm crashing a lot. For some reason when I change my graphic preferences about 1/3 of the time it causes me to crash. Then my firestorm doesn't close like it's supposed to so I end up having to force it to close. By the time I do all of that and start firestorm back up again the region has shut down. You can imagine how frustrating this is. I've also been crashing about 75% of the time that I try to teleport out of my region. So I log back into my home location and once again the region has already shut down. I don't know the reason for all of the crashes, they didn't happen as much as this before.

I've tried everything, clearing cache, reinstalling firestorm, etc... all of the normal things.

Another thing that's going on is I have major missing inventory. Even before I cleared my cache is was missing today (just in the last day really). I cleared cache because I thought it might trigger the inventory to reload and it did for a few things but I still have some very important folders missing. All of the rezzing boxes for my buildings are not showing up. I realize the inventory isn't gone forever, it's just not showing up in the folders despite all of my best efforts and it will most likely come back at some point.

I've been working on customizing the environment settings for Coopersville and I honestly can't remember if the missing inventory was before or after that. I do know that the crashes were well before today.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerAda Radius
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Koshari,

Crashing when teleporting between regions / worlds is often due to the viewer not freeing up the memory it used for the region it left before completing the teleport process inside the region it's entering. This means that if you're TPing from a region with a lot of assets then you may need to have more RAM on your computer to complete the teleport without issues.

Regarding the missing inventory. Have you read this? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1050
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelAda Radius
BlackBeard ThePirate
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackBeard ThePirate »

I agree that we need more time when we are clearing catche,,Its very annoying to have to sit and wait at the TP station only because we are relogging to clear a catche
These users thanked the author BlackBeard ThePirate for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Ya it could be nice. But expensive, and I certainly don't want Kitely to have to raise prices to keep worlds open longer. RAM is expensive, yikes. And I'm saying this from My New Computer which has more RAM than the 7 year old one I retired. TPing is dramatically better on this machine.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerKoshari Mahana
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

I still don't know why I was crashing so much, it's better now though.

As far as the inventory. I talked to Ilan and he recommended that I log out, log in at the Kitely Welcome Center and voilà! my inventory was back so I went ahead on over to my region and it stayed. He said that the Kitely Welcome Center doesn't use a lot of resources like some of the bigger regions do. So maybe my inventory wasn't being prioritized when I entered my region. It's never happened before like that so I hope it doesn't happen again but if it does I now know what to do. :)
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post:
Ilan Tochner