Kitely Market is Open for Business!

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Constance Peregrine

Re: Kitely Market is Open for Business!

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Just another side note...lol

In another grid I was in where I worked with that MP a little bit....when there was a delivery fail and the merchant had disappeared for whatever reason, the item could be marked as not available or inactive, until, or if, the merchant came back and could then fix whatever issue and set it again as active....i think sometimes in certain cases this happened automatically....hmm...i think when the issue was with the magic box, which of course we dont have here.

forgive me if i missed it someplace, but is there something here for that? two of the delivery errors i got have been satisfied, one he fixed it and redelivered, quickly, and the other she refunded me.

a 3rd she seems to be afk atm....my concern is that others will have the same issue and not only cause her to have a lot of problems dealing with it all when, or if, she comes back, and, as well, the customers having the same issue i have.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Minethere,

That is exactly what we're working on adding now. Some people added products before we had some of our existing checks in place so our system wasn't able to catch those problems in time before they caused deliveries to fail.

We're adding additional automated checks to when people create products to verify that they aren't broken and if they are to notify the merchant what was broken so they can fix it (similar to how we added a report of what was filtered out when Exporting a world). Doing the checks at the product listing creation stage prevents merchants from having to deal with it at the content delivery stage. This will catch, for example, the common problem of merchants sometimes having objects that reference assets that haven't been uploaded to the grid.

We're also changing the built-in Redeliver option to send the latest working version of the bought product instead of the version that the user bought. This will enable much easier content redistribution for merchants and will enable them to easily distribute updated versions of products to their customers (even when the previous delivery worked).

Lastly, please remember this is just the second day since the Kitely Market launched so we're still finding and fixing bugs that result from rare and weird problems that can exist with people's inventories and the content they upload into virtual worlds. As we eliminate those sources of failed delivery, the Kitely Market will become a more robust content-delivery option than any other option that currently exists on any other grid (SL included).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Dundridge DreadlowConstance PeregrineAda Radius
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

oo, update delivery...

While you're at it... can I request a bulk update system for ongoing support purposes to redeliver to all customers ? (for example if a large script update needs to be distributed or other such update, like fixing a wonky texture or something) Maybe a "subscribe to updates" option if concerned about spam updates, a bit like the Android marketplace uses.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dundridge,

There are various ways to implement an update feature in the Kitely Market:

1) Send customers a copy of the new version, without replacing the old copy.

2) Send customers a copy of the new version, which will replace the old copy in their inventories.

3) Send customers a copy of the new version, which will replace the old copy in their inventories and inworld in places where it was already rezzed (yes, we have the infrastructure to eventually do that :-)).

There are pros and cons to each option and implementing them also has different R&D costs: option 1 is very simple to implement and should work for items that need to be redelivered to other grids as well. Options 2 and 3 can only be implemented for copies of items remaining inside Kitely. Implementing option 3 will obviously require more time to do than implementing option 2.

Everyone please discuss your preference (with explanations of why you prefer that option).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Dundridge DreadlowAda Radius
Dundridge Dreadlow

Quick and simple option one is good and (hopefully) foolproof :) Can't argue with option 1, especially if it had a version number/date or something.

Option 2, yeah, that's better, less inventory clutter, ideal if things need replacing in one place, certainly an improvement - you can just tell the customer to rerez the object after fixing. If it was automatic when a market item is edited, even better.

However, to me, option 3 is utterly AWESOME :) I have items with complex scripts, and having everyone with the latest version in world makes life simpler, the customer doesn't need to worry about updating, textures being fixed, or prims being damaged or other. Also really cool if a mesh is fixed, enhanced or other. Only downside apart from dev time is if customers have retextured or something :)

I can of course send an updater object to send the latest scripts with any of the first two options which can update scripts in world.
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The possible problem we see with option 1 is that if the item sold was no-copy the buyer would now have 2 copies - one of the old version and one of the new.

Option 2 eliminates that no-copy problem but requires a lot more code to implement as there are quite a few edge cases which our system will need to be able to handle.

Option 3 is super awesome ;-D but it involves dealing with even more edge cases than option 2 so that isn't going to be implemented in the near future (but it is on our roadmap).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Dundridge Dreadlow

go for it... let the merchant decide if they want to give out 2 copies or ask for a return of the first one :)
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Tully McLeod

Post by Tully McLeod »

I bought a few items from it over the weekend. I really like the interface and the ability to easily find variations of items. Delivery worked fine and all is good in the virtual world. Looks like you've implemented this quite well.

I have high hopes that it will grow quickly as I'm looking forward to spending some building in Kitely and need more resources available. After reading a few of the hyperbolic comments by people over at HyperGrid Business (By commenters, not by Maria who was very positive), I think you may have a rough road ahead. Who'd have thought that making some innovative choices to create an affordable and usable environment would make you the ultimate evil :D
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Tully McLeod wrote:I bought a few items from it over the weekend. I really like the interface and the ability to easily find variations of items. Delivery worked fine and all is good in the virtual world. Looks like you've implemented this quite well.

I have high hopes that it will grow quickly as I'm looking forward to spending some building in Kitely and need more resources available. After reading a few of the hyperbolic comments by people over at HyperGrid Business (By commenters, not by Maria who was very positive), I think you may have a rough road ahead. Who'd have thought that making some innovative choices to create an affordable and usable environment would make you the ultimate evil :D
hehe...yea, I am reading the latest one on HGB now, trying to keep myself from replying with only an --lol-

I have a difficult time keeping my typing fingers quiet, tho....grrrr-))

If Ilan and Oren thought this would be easy..I highly doubt that, as they seem to be pretty business savvy to me.

I think the MP here will do quite well and those who complain now, if they are truly into making money, will come along eventually....just, fyi, don't tell them "we told ya so"-)))

In fact, it is a truism that even those who talk it down, are in fact, making some aware it is even open, and some of those will come to it....watch and see.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

..I notice a knee jerk technofear response.. :evil:
..and people who like the market :) :D :lol:

can't please 'em all I guess.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Constance Peregrine
PS. Kitely is awesome.