Join us today at the Kitely Community Meeting (December 11)

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Join us today at the Kitely Community Meeting (December 11)

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Today's Kitely Community Meeting will be held at 1:00pm PST in Kitely Welcome Center.

(See timezone information here: http://www.greenwichmeantime.com/time-z ... ific-time/.)

The meeting will be a social gathering with an opportunity for newcomers to ask questions and old hands to exchange information about projects and events.

We'll start by answering any questions that you may have about the Kitely grid, our always-on Dedicated Server worlds, or our Organizations (virtual grids) offering.

There will then be time for Kitely and non-Kitely members to discuss whatever else meets your fancy. Please join us.
Jeanne Lefavre 2

Re: Join us today at the Kitely Community Meeting (December 11)

Post by Jeanne Lefavre 2 »

Hi Ilan, if we would have known in advance that this is a special kind of a community meeting, also Caribou and myself would have been there. Even if we are not creators or educators we do feel that we are members of the Kitely community and try to be as supportive as we can. Maybe it is possible to see how these messages reach us and others better and in time. And I am sure the meeting would have been a success also without us! Jeanne Lefavre
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jeanne,

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly. We had our normal weekly community meeting where people discussed their projects, asked support questions, exchanged ideas, I shared some information about what we're working on and people provided feedback that can help us in our future developments. What made this one special?

We hold these meetings every Sunday at 1pm PST and everyone is always welcome. We advertise them in the Kitely Welcome Center, in our events calendar (which also appears in our viewer login page), in our forums and on Twitter. Finally, I send out personal invites and TP offers to the people who are inworld when the meeting starts. What other type of notice would you have liked us to give?
Jeanne Lefavre 2

Post by Jeanne Lefavre 2 »

Hi Ilan, your formulation gave me the impression that you are inviting to a different kind of a meeting, but apparently it was not meant as that.

The weekly meetings are at least for me interesting, but often deal with quite advanced technical and strategic issues which of course are important for developing Kitely and life here, maybe not the ideal discussions for 'newcomers'.

I thought your text related to a more general discussion as you described it like a 'social event' and ' opportunity for newcomers to ask questions and old hands to exchange information about projects and events'. Maybe sometimes a meeting with more easily understood subjects and discussions could be useful in addition to the present ones of course.

For instance, I did talk with you about the engineer-like drab design of the grey login elevators, and maybe there are other ways of creating better opportunuties for people in Kitely to meet.We see that it works in other grids, especially maybe OSgrid and LBSA Plaza, where people meet and get to know each other. Or give information during the login process, about issues that are current or interesting.

We are many who are not developing advanced things, or highly tech savvy, but who focus more on human interaction through events and meeting people in Kitely. It brings people here and makes Kitely known in broad circles, so may also have a value. That was the reason to react, I thought you were inviting to a different 'social event', and as you know I am supportive of what you are doing here, just wanted to add an element to the present.

Best wishes! Jeanne
These users thanked the author Jeanne Lefavre 2 for the post:
Tony El
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for your clarification. Our meetings often have a dynamic flow that is highly dependant on what the people who arrive wish to discuss. When newcomers join us they often have questions that the group tries to help them with. Other times people discuss various issues relating to current virtual-worlds related news.

While subjects can become technical at times we try to be inclusive and discuss things that are accessible to non-technical people as well.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Tony El