viewers crash on teleport between worlds

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Constance Peregrine

Re: viewers crash on teleport between worlds

Post by Constance Peregrine »

lol Deuce-))

[runs out to buy a Dell pc with AMD and pretends I actually have the money for it!!!]
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Ilan mentioned that I have recently switched graphics cards, and I thought I'd give a few more details. My computer itself (Windows-based) is very powerful, but until recently I had a pretty old graphics card: an ATI/AMD Radeon 4850. Its speed was fine, and it usually worked fine if I had only a single viewer open, but if I had two viewers running at once then it would usually crash after a few minutes. This was a problem since as a developer I often need to have several viewers open at once. The graphics driver would also crash after a few minutes if I used Skype screen-sharing in full-screen mode.

I switched to an Nvidia graphics card a few weeks ago: an Asus GeForce GTX 760. This has solved all of my problems. I can now run many viewers at once without any crashes; recently I had 4 running at once for half a day. It doesn't crash during Skype screen-sharing either. Incredibly, it's also more quiet than my previous card even though it's much more powerful.

Historically, I've alternated between ATI/AMD and Nvidia. I've had several cards by each, and it looks like whenever I switch cards I choose the other company :) So at this point I'm happy with my Nvidia, but hey, maybe next time I'll get an AMD again. The new R9-290 seems good...
Jean Swashbuckler

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

Jean Swashbuckler wrote:
Serendipity Seraph wrote: I am on a Mac Pro running Lion (it is an older model and cannot run Mountain Lion). 16 GB of memory. ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB graphics. At the time of the issue over 5GB memory were free. Should be more than adequate.
I also have an early 2008 MacPro with an Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS card, 5gb, running Snow Leopard.
Hi Serendipity, it looks like it is the graphics card. I entered Kitely in my world then teleported to Fulfillment University. Walked and flew around some. Teleported to Fulfillment Campus, repeated process. Then teleported to Ami's place. Same process. Then reversed the sequence ending up back in our world. No crashes. It took a bit of time in each world to render but that's the way it is.

I remember we chose the Nvidea card specifically when we bought our desktop Macs because of issues AMD was having at the time. I have had to replace both of the graphics cards in the desktop Macs since the purchase and have replaced with Nvidea cards after reading about issues people were having in SL with AMD cards.

You probably know this, but if you replace the card, be sure to replace the card with an NVidea card made specifically for the Mac and the Mac Pro version you have. This is very important. Cards not made for the Mac Pro will not work inside the Mac. I purchased one of our cards in eBay. The other from http://www.mac-upgrade-store.com. The key is to be sure the card works with your version of the Mac Pro. I also looked at http://www.macsales.com but it doesn't look like they carry the older cards. I usually get my add-ons or replacements there. Their president will be at our Mac Users Group meeting next week and I'll ask him why they don't carry some of the older drivers. Hope this helps. If you have other questions, let me know.