Intersections

Worlds that you created or discovered
Dot Matrix

Intersections

Post by Dot Matrix »

Those browsing this section of the Kitely forum will notice my sporadic posts concerning developments in Intersections and Vespers. With the recent updated Kitely plans and console controls, I took the plunge and expanded Intersections from a single world into a 4x4 Advanced World -- sixteen regions, with a total prim limit of 120,000.

Using Sim-on-a-Stick, I was able to arrange and merge OARs from previous Kitely worlds of Evensong (a 2x2 that included Vespers and modernised versions of Skysong, Waysmeet/Retreat and Touchstone), a northernised Deepwater, Intersections, the Hub and Selenitica. The remaining regions I left as open sea, to be developed as time goes by.

That made me think. When I was in SL, my favourite realm was Winterfell. According to Tyche Shepherd's Grid Survey Winterfell currently has sixteen regions (excluding Forest Floor and Rustica): 7 full regions (15,000 prims each) and 9 homestead regions (3,750 prims each) -- a total limit of 138,750 prims. I remember crashing regularly at sim boundaries when sailing or horse-riding (this was back in 2011 or so -- things might have improved in SL since then).

With Intersections I now have as many regions as Winterfell in SL, and nearly as many prims to play with. It's an Advanced Megaregion, so there are no nasty sim boundaries to snag movement. And the total monthly cost is just under $40.

Scary...

Edited to simplify name from "Intersections (with Vespers)" to just "Intersections", since the thread is summarising developments across the whole 4x4, not just the NE corner.
Last edited by Dot Matrix on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 12):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineCapitan TrippsShandon LoringSelby EvansDanko WhitfieldMichael Timelessbeverly ZauberfloteSerene JewellOzwell Wayfarer and 2 more users
Dot Matrix

Re: Intersections (with Vespers)

Post by Dot Matrix »

It's time for a update on how things are developing.

In the last week or so, two more friends have taken up the offer of a home-from-home -- welcome, both!

On the building front, I've been experimenting with elements from Amiryu Hosoi's exquisitely textured Japanese castle and other buildings to develop a port town, Prim Pahts, to the south. Ami's buildings have distinctive silhouettes and enable dramatic reflections -- the latter being the reason why I've moved the build from its originally planned sky layer to ground level.

Prim Pahts' layout is based on a simple square fractal pattern of land, pathways and canals, a nod to the Myst/Uru collaboratively developed fan "age" Ahra Pahts ("Great City") whose layout is a fractal seeded by an equilateral triangle. In Ahra Pahts, the Devokan Trust has "Shell 415", which features in a story dating from 2010/11. There may well be an equivalent building in Prim Pahts, but exactly what has yet to be decided.

Hopefully this will help to explain why some parts of the build look messy and incomplete, and some aspects no longer work. It is an ongoing, long-term project; it will take time to develop and evolve. However, even while this is going on, some parts (notably in the north-east) are settled and unlikely to undergo further upheavals, so potential homes-from-homes are safe.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansMoonrise Azaleebeverly Zauberflote
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Prim Pahts is slowly taking shape, and one of the home-from-homers has already claimed an island house in the northwest of the development.

Shell 415 will be in the northeastern block. At the moment I've laid out the main buildings, but not set up the interiors.

To the far south, at the end of the main canal, is the Library, looking splendid on an elevated, terraced terrain with reflections in the water below.

Below the buildings, I will be exploring the possibility of a parallel underground "city", using Ozwell's cave kit.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

The experiments with the cave kit worked. Neolbah, in story terms a suite of rooms discovered by Andy Legate during an unofficial expedition to a D'ni underground city (i.e. Andy built this Myst/Uru fan age), is now in place.

Though it is still under active renovation, some areas are already functional, including a linking book system that will quickly link (teleport) visitors to their desired location.

In the original fan age, Andy generously set up one of the rooms as an office for the Devokan Trust. Eventually there will be a full set of journals in this re-imagined version, for those interested in the history of this long-running project.

"Intersections" is a most appropriate name. ;)
Dot Matrix

Re: Intersections

Post by Dot Matrix »

The original Intersections was a single-region winter garden, with meandering paths through snowy silver birches.

The new 4x4 Intersections now has a sky-build area, Evensong, inspired by that first version. It nestles within a birch forest (mostly Zuza's trees, with some of Oz's landscaping and ground cover plants) in a snowy valley surrounded by mountains (Witchy).

There are a few well-separated and private modern cottages/home-from-homes by Witchy and Brayla, plus Brayla's Social Photo Studio for fashionistas.

As it's snowy up there, snowball fights are possible via Kayaker's system. I'll probably set up some board games too as a suitable winter-time activity when it's too cold to go out.

Click on any of the linking books and choose "Evensong", then click the book again to teleport there.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansDanko Whitfield
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

It's about time I included some photos in this thread...

Linking book in Neolbah
Click the book once to choose your destination, then click it again to link (teleport) to it.

Neolbah is built from Ozwell's cave kit; the podium is by Ruby O'Degee; the linking book uses a mesh from Twice Baked; the torches are by Cordts.

Evensong cottage
One of the homes-from-home in Evensong, the winter garden area. This cottage is by Witchy.

Recording history
NEW! Look closely at the typewriters on to find out more about the backstory of this extensive virtual world on Kitely. (Enable "Media" in your viewer preferences to see what's written -- drag over the paper to scroll. For more convenient reading, use the mini-toolbar button to open the linked webpage. Thanks, Witchy, for the typewriter that inspired this idea for inworld journals.)
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Selby Evansbeverly ZauberfloteOzwell Wayfarer
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

This looks wonderful, Dot. I am coming over for a visit. :D
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

What's been happening over the past ten days or so? -- apart from the Kitely Merchants Fair and all those bargains to be had...

Skysong's land area has been extended to the north (plus the off-sim mountain range). From the towers of the strategically placed Skysong Castle are views across the whole of Intersections. A dragon has flown in from Dragons' Teeth, potentially a useful partner for exploring the skies of Intersection.

The vegetation on Vespers is slowly evolving into a forest. The miserable hovel used by Quinquifid Oddenfen for his earliest experiments is being recreated just north of Vespers lodge -- look for the windmill and less healthy-looking trees and shrubs close to the Vespers linking book. Quinquifid's journal from this time is in the cottage.

A couple more tunnels have been opened up in the cave system in Neolbah. It might not have been wise to, though. :?
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansDanko Whitfield
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Over the past week or so, two more individuals have claimed a cottage space on Evensong: one a well-known Devokan storybuilder, the other a long-standing Myst/Uru fan busily setting up a Kitely base in one of Scarlet Creative's buildings...
But now it feels like home here :-)
Skysong Castle is slowly being made a little more welcoming. The ground floor of the keep now has a well-worn but comfortable settee and chairs, ready for friendly fireside gatherings and conversation. There are also board and card games here.
SkysongCastle_001 copy.png
SkysongCastle_001 copy.png (213.33 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Orlando Furioso 2Serene Jewell
Orlando Furioso 2

Post by Orlando Furioso 2 »

beautiful !
These users thanked the author Orlando Furioso 2 for the post:
Dot Matrix
vivant actuellement une chronologie alternative