Castle of Darkening Light

Worlds that you created or discovered
Snoots Dwagon

Re: Castle of Darkening Light

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Brian Vultee wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:41 pm
I am not sure why but I like to twist prims, not sure anyone says that anymore lol, but I enjoy it.
The correct term is torture prims. Bwahahaahahahaa....
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Brian Vultee

Post by Brian Vultee »

Last edited by Brian Vultee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Vultee

Post by Brian Vultee »

Last edited by Brian Vultee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

In the very early days of SL, friends and I used to sit in the sandbox (this was before mesh or even sculpties), and random-twist / torture prims to see what shapes we could get out of it. When we found a shape that was interesting, we'd name it and save it to a "Shapes" folder in our inventory for future use. I still recommend that to builders. Despite sculpties and mesh... prims are still a valid and valuable building tool. There are some incredible shapes that can be created from standard prims, ranging from tables to sword blades and hilts and beyond. Prims are still the least-laggy building object available, having close to zero impact on a simulator. Like you, I still prefer prim building. It's challenging, interesting, and can be created in-world without the use of special / costly tools. :)
I think it is less lag though but just my opinion.
That's a correct opinion. Several tests have been conducted to examine the effect of prims on both Second Life and Opensim. Ignoring the concept of textures and scripts, prims have almost no effect on a system. They load with high speed, don't burden either server or viewer software, and are part of the core-system of virtual worlds. One historical test was run on an empty Opensim world... in the early days when Opensim was relatively new and not yet running as well as today. Even under those conditions, the tester rezzed 140,000 prims on an empty region. The result: zero measurable effect, zero discernible effect. (One good way to test for Viewer lag is to walk in a circle and see if your movement is smooth.) All data and tests showed pretty much no effect on simulator or viewer.

Just this year I ran a similar test in which I built a large circular wall out of 80,000 prims on an already-heavily-populated region of 75,000 prims. The effect those extra 80,000 prims had on that region: none. There was no measurable difference, either in world operation stats or in user perception.

So yup, prims are great building tools. They're "primmy" of course, but one can still build relatively low-prim with a little experience and design understanding... especially on Opensim worlds, which allow 256m prims. When SL was young it took 676 prims to build a floor the size of a region. To this day it still requires 16 prims on SL to do that (unless one uses a grandfathered megaprim). On Opensim we can do the same thing with one prim, any hour of the day, any standard prim shape. : )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Kim McCabeDot Matrix
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Kim McCabe

Post by Kim McCabe »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:16 am
In the very early days of SL, friends and I used to sit in the sandbox (this was before mesh or even sculpties), and random-twist / torture prims to see what shapes we could get out of it. When we found a shape that was interesting, we'd name it and save it to a "Shapes" folder in our inventory for future use. I still recommend that to builders. Despite sculpties and mesh... prims are still a valid and valuable building tool. There are some incredible shapes that can be created from standard prims, ranging from tables to sword blades and hilts and beyond. Prims are still the least-laggy building object available, having close to zero impact on a simulator. Like you, I still prefer prim building. It's challenging, interesting, and can be created in-world without the use of special / costly tools. :)
I think it is less lag though but just my opinion.
That's a correct opinion. Several tests have been conducted to examine the effect of prims on both Second Life and Opensim. Ignoring the concept of textures and scripts, prims have almost no effect on a system. They load with high speed, don't burden either server or viewer software, and are part of the core-system of virtual worlds. One historical test was run on an empty Opensim world... in the early days when Opensim was relatively new and not yet running as well as today. Even under those conditions, the tester rezzed 140,000 prims on an empty region. The result: zero measurable effect, zero discernible effect. (One good way to test for Viewer lag is to walk in a circle and see if your movement is smooth.) All data and tests showed pretty much no effect on simulator or viewer.

Just this year I ran a similar test in which I built a large circular wall out of 80,000 prims on an already-heavily-populated region of 75,000 prims. The effect those extra 80,000 prims had on that region: none. There was no measurable difference, either in world operation stats or in user perception.

So yup, prims are great building tools. They're "primmy" of course, but one can still build relatively low-prim with a little experience and design understanding... especially on Opensim worlds, which allow 256m prims. When SL was young it took 676 prims to build a floor the size of a region. To this day it still requires 16 prims on SL to do that (unless one uses a grandfathered megaprim). On Opensim we can do the same thing with one prim, any hour of the day, any standard prim shape. : )
I still like prims too. I use both mesh and prims these days. Whatever works for the build. Different mind set today while building though. I liked the early years of challenging yourself to make something look as realistic and as low prim as possible with the help of beautifully crafted textures.
These users thanked the author Kim McCabe for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
Brian Vultee

Post by Brian Vultee »

Last edited by Brian Vultee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Sometimes, starting afresh is the right thing to do. Wishing you all the best, Brian.
Brian Vultee

Post by Brian Vultee »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:05 am
Sometimes, starting afresh is the right thing to do. Wishing you all the best, Brian.
Last edited by Brian Vultee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Vultee

Post by Brian Vultee »

Last edited by Brian Vultee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Brian Vultee for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

And just to emphasise, I responded not with anger (as Brian implied above), but with sadness.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSnoots Dwagon