Halloween "Not an Event" Haunted Mine Shaft Ride

Worlds that you created or discovered
Ruby O'Degee

Halloween "Not an Event" Haunted Mine Shaft Ride

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Happy Halloween Weekend.

I hope I am posting in the right place. I didn't think the calendar was the best place to advertise since my ride is not really an event. Other people do better parties than I do. Lately, I am inspired to work more inventively every time I go to one.

Finally, My Haunted Mine Shaft Ride is up and running. More of a moving stage and variety show. Most props and actors I made were new to this project. Others showed up. The ride lasts about 30 minutes, with animated characters, weather events, sound, and glitches. So I am tweaking and adding throughout the weekend. This way anyone can come anytime. :) Before or after a party maybe?

The ride is an experiment for me. A tribute to 19th-century authors who very much added to our obsessions with macabre and lots of movie repetitions. I think Vincent Price is still the best movie storyteller, but I am of that generation who went to the free community movies on Saturday mornings.

Groups aren't expected. This is a ride for solo or twosomes (less lag), it is non-physical. Nearly everything I build is phantom. I used a lot of repetition, but I refused to give up the varied lighting and images. If so I would have quit this adventure 18 years ago. I hope your ride is less laggy and more fun.

Still working on the prop credits for artists who made "my favorite things" available for use in this project. It would have taken me another year to create what they've made, and why? Their props were perfect and I like them. I was privileged to use the latest Animesh gifts given out during the Birthday party. I hope the artist believes I employed them well. :lol: When I can spend some shopping time, I intend to begin a collection for future use. I plan to make some too, of course, but shopping is fun and requires less experimental elimination (to the trash can).

Thank goodness for Mixamo this year. A good quick-fix learning tool along with others that are coming aboard to assist storytellers (real life or characters). Ruby is fictive so characters are the best way to drive stories. Much like fictional characters, they drive the story. No blank pages to overcome.

Best viewing Preferences: Hi, Include Shadows, Moon and Sun, Particles, and Sound at full blast if possible. Distance optional. You will be riding in close quarters :). For less hardy graphics cards use the best you can and pick up treats at the end. Like others, I've been having a little trouble with the latest viewer and my graphics card compatibility. I can't really know though since there is too much going on with the ride to tell. After Halloween, I will take a more in-depth look at the situation. I fixed the studio graphics card issue.

Edit: One change I did make with Ilan's help and inspiration was to fix some messy errors I made a long while ago. Mostly to do with parent-child phantom, causing objects not to be phantom. I guess my script doesn't work anymore. It is 10 years old.

I also agreed that I needed an advanced region. It worked out much better. NO MORE 2:am nights getting around "power" issues for me. I am literally getting too old for this.

Sorry about the long post. I rarely do anymore, unless it's an emergency, but I wanted to invite you all before Halloween is past. I do plan to keep the ride intact until Thanksgiving and I will make a film, so if you can't make it to visit, maybe later on?

Ruby

PS. Yep, if I missed saying so, there are Halloween treats at the end. Good for last-minute decorations you might need. Maybe some of my long-time friends will stop by and pick some Love Potion up.

There now - I shouldn't have to post for a while now. Whew. :roll: some larger pics - not to give the story away - on my world page.
These users thanked the author Ruby O'Degee for the post (total 6):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsShandon LoringSelby EvansKimm StarrKoshari Mahana
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Shandon Loring

Re: Halloween "Not an Event" Haunted Mine Shaft Ride

Post by Shandon Loring »

oh wow!!
that looks amazing Ruby!!
I will definitely be visiting asap!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Ruby O'Degee
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Thank you, Shandon. I wanted to contribute to your Halloween store, but we went through the edge of a hurricane this past month. Lots of cleanup, but nothing like our neighbors got to the south and west. Mostly tree stuff this time - we certainly dodged a bullet

So anyway I got way behind on everything. I did visit what I call your "tribute to Poe." I certainly clicked the Poe button and I loved the creepy farm scene. The bar is being set very high by you all. Inspiring.

I love the music at these parties Rosa reminds me about, but now I am going to see the venues too. How nice they are... I learn something new every time I see other people's work.

And of course the stories I go to sleep listening to;). I am definitely inspired by those stories.
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Betina Jessen
Has thanked: 0

Post by Betina Jessen »

Wow that's look dope ! I like that. Happy 2023 calendar Halloween !!!
Last edited by Betina Jessen on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Betina Jessen for the post:
Ruby O'Degee
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

I'll be checking this out for sure!
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post:
Ruby O'Degee
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Kimm Starr wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:21 pm
I'll be checking this out for sure!
Due to the fact you might know a couple of the actors personally, I need to disclaim and remind you: Dead caged bodies were a natural way to keep the diggers from digging during the mid to late 1800s. Nevertheless, an experienced digger supervisor knew how to get around that, so ummmm no actual humans were hired, needed or otherwise showed up.

On the other hand, humanoids do/did sometimes meet untimely "partings," particularly when they are met up with an artist like yourself to create, reconstrue and dress them. And there is no way I could do a thing about the fact that one of the actors (you may know) is/was delighted to find them already dug or waiting to be dug. Not sure which. :lol: :o :o :lol: :?

Since this whole story build is dedicated to my Halloween-loving, elementary school costume designer mother, I feel like I need to explain why it went sideways to my family too. This should suffice as my public explanation. :roll: :oops:
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

Hi Ruby, I was out and about all Halloween weekend and wanted to check out your ride today and can't seem to find a way to get there. Can you post the address to your sim. I'm looking forward to it!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kimm,

Ruby's world's World Page is: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ru ... y-District

You can click the big Enter World button on that page to teleport to that world or copy/paste the world's Hypergrid Address from that page into your viewer.
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

Thanks so much Ilan
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerRuby O'Degee
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

Ruby, so much fun. I love when I 'm surprised by new cool stuff in opensim. Excellent ride!
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post:
Ruby O'Degee