EPIC CITADEL 2x2 revisited

Worlds that you created or discovered
Shandon Loring

EPIC CITADEL 2x2 revisited

Post by Shandon Loring »

So most y'all have seen Epic Citadel Castle from Unreal Engine I imagine.
We've had the 1x1 version installed at Storylink Radio for a couple years now, but it was quite unsatisfying as everything had been shrunk from 2x2 size to fit a 1x1 region. We have now installed the full 2x2 version as a skybox at Celticworld. It looks great!! And so fun to walk and explore! Come visit!!
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/CELTICWORLD/205/261/1576

The only change we really had to make was removing one section of mesh land in front of castle. In the 1x1 version it was 234m wide, in the 2x2 version it would've been about 413m wide. And of course once I stretched it over 256m it became phantom, and so was unwalkable. It would've been a huge hassle to reinforce it with invisiprims or whatever, so just deleted it, and now we have a really nice larger harbor.

If you haven't seen Epic Citadel as a 2x2 I think you'll really be impressed, it's pretty neat!

Would love to see any comments!
thanks y'all
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Re: EPIC CITADEL 2x2 revisited

Post by Graham Mills »

Many thanks, Shandon. It was a fun place to explore using my gamepad and the tp system took me to spots I don't recall seeing previously.

BTW one of your trees needs watering ;)

These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hey thanks for checking it out Graham. Great pictures you took!!

The TP system is pretty neat. There were pieces of it scattered about the original 2x2 .oar
A lot of work was done on the .oar by Araminta Tranquility / Araminta TwycrossTwitchy apparently in 2019, including the scripts for the teleporters.
Based on her scripts I recreated the TP system and placed it in a bunch of places in the realm. It is autoconfig and works very well, just drop two or more TP pads anywhere you want, give them a name, and they link and create a dialogue menu for you. Super easy. Notes in the script indicate no restrictions on distribution of the script, so I may make a package of that freely available here soon.

Unfortunately Araminta apparently disappeared from Kitely after March 19th, 2020. Which makes one wonder since the Plague was just really ramping up that week.

I did a bunch of tinkering on the Epic Citadel .oar, but by far the heavy lifting had been done, my chief effort was in transforming it from a Terra-level .oar to a skybox installation, because of course I did not want to disturb our existing Celticworld. There was a couple tricky little steps to the process, but overall I am extremely pleased with the outcome.

As you noted there are some really fun little items scattered about that were contributed by others. Like pseudo-breedable animals and trees and plants, as well as interiors for some of the buildings. For some reason the interiors don't really match up well, but they are a super start, so I plan to work on that soon too and make all the buildings in the realm fully enterable and usable.

If anyone should desire to have Epic Citadel 2x2 as a skybox (which we have dubbed 'Tintagel Castle' from Arthurian tales), I'd be happy to discuss the process. Storylink Radio has converted a number of full 1x1 region .oar's to skybox installations at our various estates, (such as Arabian World for Aladdin Tales, (hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/StorylinkRadio/668/400/1028)
and of course numerous Star Wars 'worlds' stacked up at Spaceworld), but this was the first 2x2 we'd done. Honestly it was the easiest too, partly because our technique is improving, but also because there were relatively fewer overall prims, and no real need to consider the original mesh terra. In other installations we have had to recreate the Terra as a sculpted/mesh to be installed at skybox level.

ANYway... I'm blathering on about all this so as to encourage anyone that wants to try something like this. There are lots of fun .oar file worlds out there, and sticking one in a skybox, and not messing up your existing ground level world can really expand your World!
Graham Mills
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

More to explore!!
Added a Cave system and Underground Dance Club and more oh my to the Epic Citadel region.
It's quite extensive.. come explore.. don't be afraid to get wet!
Lotsa, Lotsa, Lotsa FREE Stuff!
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/CELTICWORLD/206/261/1576

The Teleport System will take you to the new CRYSTAL CAVE (xtal cave),
then just follow the tunnels down, down, down...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

As no thread is complete these days without a reference to AI, here's a blog describing its utility (and limitations) in world-building (not that Shandon needs any help, of course). https://ianbicking.org/blog/2023/02/wor ... h-gpt.html
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

That looks super cool Graham!
I transferred the whole page to my Kindle for reading later today!
Graham Mills
Story Link

Post by Story Link »

and for the record.. Shandon needs all the help he can get!

hence:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6743
These users thanked the author Story Link for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsShandon Loring