Any other weapons on Kitely yet?

Content that you created or discovered
Kayaker Magic

Any other weapons on Kitely yet?

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have huntable critters wandering around the rain forest in Panthalassa. I have a demo bow that can be used on them, but they are supposed to die if struck by any physical object moving fast enough. (If you fly your avatar and run into one of them at full speed, that can do it!) So any projectile weapon like a gun should easily kill them, but I don't have a gun...

Does anyone else on Kitely have weapons working yet? Please bring them by Pantlalassa http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Kay ... anthalassa, try them out on my "Yerik" critters and report back to me how well it works.

I looked on the Kitely Marketplace, could not find any weapons for sale there yet. I have a demo version of the bow to try out at the archery range on Panthalassa, if you don't have a weapon of your own.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: Any other weapons on Kitely yet?

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Sarge has stuff, mostly melee I think..
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I'm actually way behind on weaponsmithing. And its true that I tend to make melee weapons most of the time. But I do have a pair of .45 M1911's that I had working. And my own personal plasma blaster. I certainly have all the necessary components to build bows. I am short on pistols and rifles, though. Oh, and people will need to use the HUD/Meter system I'm tweaking.

Mostly, I've been waiting for people to start wanting weapons before getting to work on them. Looks like that time has come.

Something I really need is anims, especially draw/holster.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

I visited Panthalassa with my cannon, and tried some Yerrick shooting.
They seem to be working.
Can't keep the blighters down though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81395094@ ... 546114454/
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

In more detail:

Sometimes they seem to take a lot before they go down.
Other times the first shot does it.

It looks pretty bad when they go down wriggling and bleeding, :( but they get up and wander off soon after :)

I used my larger cannon first, which was quite effective, then tried it with a smaller one, which seemed more difficult.
The smaller gun has a 0.25 ball, and the larger one 0.5, both rezzed with velocity 0.1.
With the smaller gun, using ball, rather than explosive bomb, the balls would sometimes bounce off and roll away.
Using bombs, there might be two or three puffs of smoke on the Yerrick before it goes down.

I don't think any balls went through the Yerrick, just some bounced off or exploded without any apparent effect.
I think a couple bounced around between their feet. I've got some Fraps video to look at.

The balls "llDie" after a few seconds, so there shouldn't be any clutter.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post (total 2):
oopsee joseppeKayaker Magic
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Thanks Keith for trying out your cannon on my Yerik!

They are scripted to die if hit by any physical object moving faster than 10 meters/second. What are the units of you "velocity 0.1" setting? 0.1 m/s is not enough to kill them. 10 m/s is under the speed of a flying avatar which is 30 m/s I think. So if you fly at full speed and manage to run into a Yerik they will die, as someone else accidentally discovered recently. They "respawn" after a minute, although they have a dialog option to "stay dead" if you have permission to access the settings.

I am at the mercy of the collision_start event to detect collisions, and I think it often fails to detect a collision. I am trying to devise a simple test to verify this so I can submit it to Open Sim as a Mantis.

What is the difference between your ball and explosive bomb? If the only difference is a particle effect, collision_start cannot tell the difference.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

The velocity is determined by llRezObject, and although it appears 0.1 is a very low setting, I think it allows up to 200 or 250, I haven't seen any data on equivalence to m/s. It does looks much faster than a flying avatar.
It might be worth devising some tests for this.
A script and hud that I use for air speed indicators might work in a test object that is llRezzed.

Yes, a "bomb" is simply using a particle script.
The bomb goes invisible on collision, produces a bang and a particle explosion, and then dies.
A ball simply remains a visible physical object, but starts a timer on collision and dies a few seconds after, so you can see where it bounces or rolls.

With my own targets, balls (or bombs) sometimes go straight through, with neither the target or the ball detecting collision.
This seems to depend partly on size and velocity of the ball, and also on the thickness of the target and the angle at which the ball strikes the target.
To some extent, that is as it should be. Many types of real bullet will go through solid objects.
However, it's difficult to quantify.
Sometimes for example, a ball goes straight through a 0.5m wall at about 25m distance but will collide with the ground on the other side.
Or, it will go appear to go through a small hill and collide on the far side, or perhaps somewhere inside, with smoke eventually appearing above the hill.

I was a bit surprised that visible balls bounced of Yerrick, but whereas I normally use a flat target, I have noticed that balls will bounce off a sloping or rounded object, in fact I reduced the velocity down to 0.1 because the ricochet effect was excessive. So perhaps Yerricks have a rounded surface and that accounts for it.

Once I think a bomb bounced of Yerrick and exploded on the ground nearby. In other words, I suppose ODE must have detected that the object hit the Yerrick and thus deflected it, but neither bomb nor Yerrick detected the collision
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Collision isn't implemented very well in OpenSim yet. I've had the same problem with small objects not triggering collisions, and the only solution I found was to make the objects much larger.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Keith Selmes
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I don't know if this is related as I don't understand all this stuff much, and nor do I want to...lol

But I do have some of Lani Global's shooting things in Metropolis that when safe is turned off, when you shoot people it reduces their health, and she has a health thing that brings it back up also.

It works quite well and is fun too, even for someone who does not get into such things, really.

I can bring it in when HG is enabled as she does not like her content in closed commercial grids, afaik, when they are on the HG it is ok, but I might be wrong in that also. But I would imagine she just has not considered a commercial grid opening to HG, in all it's ramifications yet, if so.

Which is why I have not brought it in with an OAR.

You can drill down links here to find out more about her, if interested.

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&ne ... F8Wm-o4lEw
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...