Import IAR files to Kitely

Content that you created or discovered
Kat Lemieux

Import IAR files to Kitely

Post by Kat Lemieux »

After months of frustration, and misinterpreting the OpenSim instructions, I finally came up with a method that works for me. I hope it will help some other people, too.

How to import IAR files to Kitely, using Sim-on-a-Stick

Download desired SoaS file from http://simonastick.com. I used a 1-region file since I'll be uploading the OAR file to a private world just to transfer stuff into Kitely, but you can use any size.

For non-Windows systems: Open MS Windows in a virtual machine (using the opensource Virtual Box app from http://virtualbox.org). This may work on Linux as well, but I haven't tested that.
For Windows systems, skip this step.

Copy the SOAS.exe file to the Windows/Linux native directory and run.
This will install standalone copies of Apache Web server, MySQL database system, and OpenSim pre-configured for the world you selected.

Follow the instructions for starting your SOAS world. Find the README files in the directory for details.

In brief, start Apache & MySQL by double-clicking the MOWES shortcut icon, then when both servers are running, double-click the OpenSim launch shortcut. A console window will open, and a bunch of text will scroll by quickly as the region starts up. Once you see the hash mark [#], you can open your viewer and log in, following the README instructions.

You can create a new account, or use the default "Simona Stick" account. When you upload the OAR to another grid, all the contents will belong to you anyway.

=====================

Import IAR files to SOAS

• Unzip the IAR file if necessary
• Put the IAR in the /bin folder of the region, but not inside a folder
• Create an inventory folder named "IAR-imports"
• in the console, type:

load iar [AvatarFirstName] [AvatarLastName] IAR-imports [YourAvatarPassword] [filename.iar] <enter>

The item will be added to the avatar's inventory.

====================

Copy items into copy-by-anyone boxes you leave on the ground.
Save an OAR file by typing into the console:

save oar [filename.oar] <enter>

Upload the OAR file to a Kitely world, or use it in another grid following their protocols.
Enter the world and copy the boxes or the items inside the boxes to your inventory.
These users thanked the author Kat Lemieux for the post (total 5):
Marstol NitelyDot MatrixConstance PeregrineAlexina ProctorShandon Loring
Dot Matrix

Re: Import IAR files to Kitely

Post by Dot Matrix »

Many thanks for writing up these instructions, Kat. Confession :oops: : I've never got the hang of IAR files, but this makes it clear what to do.

For the first step, there's now a special version of Sim-on-a-Stick that runs directly on Macs -- no more need for virtual Windows. It's been made by greythane, one of the people working on WhitecoreSim, a fork of AuroraSim. Ener Hax's blog about it, including download links, is here: greythane’s Mac SoaS and new Windows SoaS – version 2
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Marstol NitelyAlexina Proctor
Kat Lemieux

Re: Import IAR files to Kitely

Post by Kat Lemieux »

Thanks for that tip, Dot! I'd tried the Mac SoaS in version 1, but it didn't work. This time though it's running beautifully! I'd updated to Mono 3.4.0, which probably helped, and maybe greythane did something magic with it this time, too. Whatever it was, I'm happy about it. It runs so much faster than using a virtual machine, and the graphics are infinitely better, too, since it uses the actual graphics card instead of a lame generic emulator.