What do you think of a show and tell hour?

Current and upcoming events
Selby Evans

Re: What do you think of a show and tell hour?

Post by Selby Evans »

Graham Mills wrote:Not a big deal but not everyone uses G+ (me for example). As noted elsewhere re education, there seems to have been a move en masse by OpenSim users to G+ with email lists and forums correspondingly quieter or largely abandoned. On the other hand I agree that some neutral channel is more appropriate if a HG-based audience is sought.
Good point. We need a second channel for presentation offers. One option is: When I post an announcement article on my blog, I invite presentation offers in the comments section. I get a notice about every comment, so I would not miss it.

Another option: to send to an email address. But a public email address invites spam.

Any other suggestions?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Selby Evans wrote:One option is: When I post an announcement article on my blog, I invite presentation offers in the comments section. I get a notice about every comment, so I would not miss it.

Another option: to send to an email address. But a public email address invites spam.

Any other suggestions?
One possibility would be a notecard dropbox on Cookie 2 for input. Notification is probably less of an issue if a schedule is made publicly available, say, 48 h in advance given that the talks are brief.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I like "The WIP Show". Production and supply-chain management, ROFL it's perfect. JIT, for "Just In Time" is a related term, so WIP & JIT is another possibility :)

Ada
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I am taking "The WIP show" as the working title. I think that will work in promotion and help us broaden the concept of what we are looking for. JIT learning is one of the concepts I am promoting, so I would rather not mix it in here. But maybe there is a term from Agile management that applies --I will ask Agile Bill.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I'm good with "The WIP Show." Maybe advertised as "Works in progress (or recently completed)" so as to welcome more contributors.

I'm happy to open a G+ community, but I'm not sure we need one, maybe we can just talk in the OpenSim Virtual group since that's where all the opensimmers are. And we can plan in here. But I'm open.

Graham, I'm curious about where else we might reach out to creators. Are there any education lists or other places you know of? Would you be willing to do a weekly reminder to folks you know?

What should be our first date? I like Thursdays or Fridays. Somewhere between 10 and 2pm PT so the Eurozone folks can join in.

Last thing. Voice or no voice? The events on that other grid had no voice and things worked fine. If we have voice, we MUST have someone typing the relevant bits into chat for those who cannot hear.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I can email the opensim-edu list. Hopefully others will pass it on to the educator lists on G+.

Personally I'd favour no voice or voice optional with SpeakEasy as an option for transcripts if there's nobody to transcribe. My SlideBoard texture display gizmo can also chat text from a notecard as each slide is shown.
Serene Jewell wrote:I'm good with "The WIP Show." Maybe advertised as "Works in progress (or recently completed)" so as to welcome more contributors.

I'm happy to open a G+ community, but I'm not sure we need one, maybe we can just talk in the OpenSim Virtual group since that's where all the opensimmers are. And we can plan in here. But I'm open.

Graham, I'm curious about where else we might reach out to creators. Are there any education lists or other places you know of? Would you be willing to do a weekly reminder to folks you know?

What should be our first date? I like Thursdays or Fridays. Somewhere between 10 and 2pm PT so the Eurozone folks can join in.

Last thing. Voice or no voice? The events on that other grid had no voice and things worked fine. If we have voice, we MUST have someone typing the relevant bits into chat for those who cannot hear.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

From SE Re voice
Ok -- text it is. Here is the revision for the plan:

The presentation will be in typed chat and/or notecards. Presenters can rez a notecard giver with notecard(s) carrying the presentation. The notecard can carry web links and textable addresses (Firestorm hops and Hypergrid addresses are recommended). The notecards probably should not carry embedded objects, as these may only be available on the grid where the embedding was done. To give objects, the presenter should use a general contents giver and put the object in the contents of the giver.

Presenters may also voice the presentation. Videos will only be made if the presenter is voicing the presentation.

Re communications
----------------
From SE
The OpenSim Virtual community is good for visibility, but we will have difficulty finding the relevant posts after a few days. The G+ community is intended to get the proposals for presentaions, so we don't want to lose any. It would also allow open discussion of the operation of the show. (We can discuss the operation here, but people have to join Kitely to post here, I think.)

We could say that posts for the WIP show need to be directed to +Serene Jewell. We could also make up a hash tag like #WIPHG and ask that the hashtag be included. (#WIP is already in use. #WIPHG is not in use, as of 4/16) We can't depend on hashtags though, as other people can start using the for their own purposes.

Serene, if you are ok with the +Serene Jewell, we could go with that for now and see how it works. You should be able to see the WIP posts to you and I think others could see them too. If it does not give us what we need, we can create a G+ community for WIP later.

From SE --name
I did a searchability test. I find that WIP got over 48 million returns, so it is not useful to us for search. WIPHG got about 2 K (4 pages), so I think it would be a better choice for the name of the show from the promotional standpoint. (People can find it in search.)

To welcome all presentations, I think we would point out that WIP does not exlude products that are completed and being sold. If you make a product for sale, selling it is still part of the work. Maybe the hardest part.

From SE re submissions
For submissions, we could also receive submissions at the the site (Hobo Sandbox on Kitely). I put out a drop box there and gave Serene a copy. If that is ok with Serene, I will remove mine and Serene can put out hers, so that she can read and remove notecards sent to her. (The top of the box is green when there are no notecards, turns red when there are notecards.)

--------------------
I don't have to be there, but I would like to be there or on call for the first few sessions in case we find problems that I need to fix. Serene can ban from either parcel, so I think that gets rid of any griefer. I never see sims in Kitely needing restart, and I can't do that anyway. So I think I may not be needed.

On Thursdays, VWER meets in SL from 11:30 to 12:30 SLT. Some educators may want to attend that.

On some Fridays, I would have an RL conflict from 1-2 SLT. But that may not be important. I am sending a note to Geo Meek, who would capture video for NMA promotion. I think, however, that he can make those times. (He would probably capture and post from each show one presentation of about 15 min. The post would be on YouTube.)

Update: I have confirmed that Geo Meek can make those times.
Action item for Jewell: Pick a time in the ranges you mentioned. I recommend that you try to avoid the time of VWER if you can.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I'm happy to report that we picked a name and a day and time and we already have 7 presenters scheduled!

The first Hypergrid WIP Show will be May 1 at Noon Pacific time on the Cookie II region on Kitely. Come and watch. If you'd like to present, email serenejewell@gmail.com. The length of presentations will be determined by how many presenters we have. :D Presentations can be prims, mesh, scripts, animations, or images. It should be fun! :D
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Selby Evans
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Just curious. Will you be releasing who and what will be showing before the event?
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Selby Evans
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I'll take that as a no, lol. I think it's a brilliant idea and I'm sure it will be interesting. Please post the results if you get a chance. Thanks for all your hard work Serene. :)