What do you think of a show and tell hour?

Current and upcoming events
Serene Jewell

What do you think of a show and tell hour?

Post by Serene Jewell »

When I was new to SL, NCI and Caledon both hosted "Show and Tell" events. All levels of builders were welcome. People came and stood in the middle of some bleachers and just showed their latest creations. Some were awesome, some were simple. Sometimes they were unfinished and the builder was asking for feedback. It was fun for me as a newcomer and a good way to meet people.

I'd be happy to organize and promote. I could be timekeeper, maybe limit each person to 3-5 minutes. Maybe Cookie II could host? ;)

I'd love to see what you all are building. I am thinking about Thursdays at noon or some similar time that is European-friendly.

What say you? Good idea or bad? Will you come?
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 7):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsZuza RittMin TigerpawAda RadiusShandon Loringbeverly Zauberflote
Graham Mills

Re: What do you think of a show and tell hour?

Post by Graham Mills »

I'd try to attend/present but no promises as I've been pretty busy of late and that's likely to continue for another month or two. We ran an education meetup last summer that was supposed to include similar sessions but, alas, it petered out before we got that far. On the other hand getting feedback on gizmos past, present & future could be useful.

The good aspect of this idea is that at least the presenters will show up :)

(edited a few)
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Serene JewellMin Tigerpaw
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I sent this message to Serene before I saw this thread, so I now put it into this conversation.

NMA would be interested in providing space and region manager services to such an event on Cookie II. I cannot say whether we could provide organization and MC services, but perhaps others would be interested in doing some of that. Cookie II is open to the HG and we would want participation by people on the HG.

We would provide publicity about the event--both promotion in advance and news about the outcome. We would certainly run pictures on my blog and probably video clips for some things.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsSerene Jewell
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I 'd be glad to come and show (off :) ) some my stuff...
These users thanked the author Zuza Ritt for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsSerene JewellMin Tigerpaw
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Show and Tell Hour planning

Serene Jewell proposed a Show and Tell series at Cookie II. I told her that New Media Arts would be happy to sponsor such an event on Cookie II. She is willing to be organizer and MC.

Here is my preliminary set of suggestions for an operating plan. We will discuss the plan here to get input from everyone who is interested. I leave to Serene final decisions for everything that does not require action from Cookie II. I will represent NMA in this matter.

Management and organization
Manager and MC Serene Jewell
I recommend forming an inworld group to handle management and publicity.
I recommend forming a G+ community to handle the presentation offers. This will give people a chance to see and discuss what is available. Participatory presentations-- increased publicity.

Name
Can we come up with an original name? Show and Tell conveys the meaning but it is a worn out cliche'

Collection of offers to present
We create a G+ community for the Hypergrid Show and Tell hour
MC posts call for next show. People reply to the post with descriptions of what they will present.
MC makes up the program for next show and posts the descriptions in the Community and in Opensim Virtual.
Cookie II is moderate. No adult products can be shown.
People who can attend via HG are welcome
Your suitcase. Just what you need to travel the hypergrid
http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... -what.html

Show is presented in Hobo Sandbox.
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Cookie II/141/366/22
All participants who will rez need to join Hobo Sandboxers.
MC will be able invite them to the group and assign a role that lets them rez
Show is primarily in voice, but may be in local chat as needed
Schedule

I suggest some predictable schedule like first and third someday of the month
MC gets to set the schedule

Promotion
MC announces event, with descriptions of content about 5 days ahead of the event
Announcement goes into the collection community, Kitely Forums, and Opensim Virtual
The event schedule will be on the Kitely calendar. MC may add details from the program.
If I get the program 5 days in advance, I will probably run an article 1 or 2 days ahead of the show.

Security
MC and guards chosen by MC will have roles that let them eject and ban from Hobo Sandbox and from Communications Arts parcel. These groups control all the area in Cookie II, so I think they can banish griefers from the region. No one can rez in these parcels except people with authority from group membership.

Publicity
The audience will be encouraged to take pictures and videos of the presentation unless the presented specifically requests no camera. Pictures may be posted
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Ada Radius
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Possible names?
Cookie Dough
Baking Cookies
Cookie Techie
Creator Cookie
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

My suggestion for naming this event:
The Hypergrid Showtell
Zuza Ritt
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Good outline, Selby! Covers all the bases.

As to a name, I don't mind the phrase Show and Tell. Only 3 syllables that make get the idea across. :-)

others....
The Cookie Show
The WIP show (works in progress)
Cookie Show and Tell (my favorite)
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 2):
Zuza RittAda Radius
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Glad you like the outline--I will be posting it on my blog shortly. It will give a little bit of publicity to the show and will serve as a template for future planning (by anybody).

I like
The WIP show,

with some clarification of the meaning nearby. "Work in progress" expands the concept--if you are building a 4X4 world, you can't bring it to the show but you can bring a pictures, a slide show, and a video prim.

The WIP by itself creates curiosity.

When we promote the show we say something like
The WIP show, where creative people of the Hypergrid gather to show their work in progress.

My action item: rework the plan and set it for publication on my blog sometime in the week of April 19.
Your action Item: Create a Google+ community and describe the show in development, invite others to get involved by joining the community and presenting/discussing ideas or submitting proposed presentations. You may also want to create a Kitely group to work with you on this, but the main attention needs to be on the G+ community because we want this to reach beyond Kitely to the HG.
Ada Radius
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Not a big deal but not everyone uses G+ (me for example). As noted elsewhere re education, there seems to have been a move en masse by OpenSim users to G+ with email lists and forums correspondingly quieter or largely abandoned. On the other hand I agree that some neutral channel is more appropriate if a HG-based audience is sought.