History Month in August

Current and upcoming events
Serene Jewell

Re: History Month in July

Post by Serene Jewell »

July at the earliest. And not so late that it conflicts with starting the fall merchant fair. Another consideration is that teachers are often busy checking out new things in June and July, by August they are starting to get ready for Fall classes.

We can talk about this at the brainstorming meeting on Sunday right after the Community meeting. So bring your brains. :-)

My hope is to feature the history-related regions and people we already have on Kitely and to encourage more of it. :-)
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Graham Mills
Freda Frostbite

Re: History Month in July

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Serene, I will try to attend the meeting today, but have been up, writing since 3:30 am, so I may be asleep. Please include some literary and msuical events in the plan. I am up for performing and/or hosting on any grid that fits the historical theme. Can also help get some historical music together for whatever sims want them. I am an event planner and performer, NOT a builder, so venues I leave to all of y'all to decide for me.

I really think this could be a great event.
Freda
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsSerene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Re: History Month in August

Post by Serene Jewell »

We had an excellent storm of brains today. August works better for more folks, so I changed the name of the forum.

There is no single theme. It's open to personal interests. It's very possible that some themes will emerge.

The time period is: all of history up until WWI (1914)

NPCs would add a lot of fun and could be guides. Ghaelen and Serene can help folks with NPCs.

We can break the month up to have events that feature a different time period each week. This was suggested:
Week 1: Greco/Roman
Week 2: Medieval 500-1500
Week 3: 1600-1700's
Week 4: 1800's to 1914

After the meeting, Freda volunteered to organize and host a Grand Ball at the end of History Month! In addition she will work on scheduling time period readings and music events each week.

Collaborations are highly encouraged. List your interests and needs here in this topic and see what happens.

Still undecided:
1. Is that weekly breakdown ok with everyone?
2. Is there anyone who would like to organize a hunt?
3. What else do we need to think about?
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerOzwell WayfarerDot MatrixAda Radius
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Sorry I didn't make the meeting :/ I fell asleep on the sofa. lol

But its sounds like a very productive meeting and I think August is a good choice.

I am good for the first 3 weeks at least :) not much for WW1 stuff but I could whip up a few trenches and sandbags pretty easily. Happy to collaborate with anyone who wants to do something (for free, of course).

If people feel there is something they really need that is not available anywhere I will try to make it for the event. But the closer to August people leave it, the less likely I will be able to help. Development takes time.

Really looking forward to this!
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Serene Jewell
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Most Excellently Excellent. I haven't figured out what I want to or can do, but I'll think of something. What's the deadline for scheduling?
Serene Jewell wrote:We had an excellent storm of brains today. August works better for more folks, so I changed the name of the forum.

There is no single theme. It's open to personal interests. It's very possible that some themes will emerge.

The time period is: all of history up until WWI (1914)

We can break the month up to have events that feature a different time period each week. This was suggested:
Week 1: Greco/Roman
Week 2: Medieval 500-1500
Week 3: 1600-1700's
Week 4: 1800's to 1914
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Are we starting the festival on the 1st and ending on the 31st? or is it precisely four weeks? If so what dates are inclusive?

I am wondering about scheduling music events and the ball.

Next questions: Would anyone like to host music and literary events on their land? I am happy to run events but need locations for them. I will put the ball on my land and I am sure I can come up with a setting appropriate for readings and music, but if anyone who owns a historical sim would like events at their place, please let me know.

I used to be a music professor in a different life, so I could do weekly dances or listening sessions with music from the appropriate periods. Will also contact some folks I know in various worlds who do period music. Anyone in Kitely have period dances loaded to their dance gizmos?

As for poetry, I have a couple of ideas of things I might do or get others to do. A couple of years ago, I co-coordinated the Decades Fest in SL. One event we had was a one-hour History of the world's greatest poetry starting several centuries BCE and ending in 2015. That would be a marvelous program to have done again if y'all think it would fly.

Some of you may be interested in seeing what happened at that festival. There were several people involved that you will recognize from Kitely. Here is a listing of all that happened at that festival which was just twenty-four hours long. http://fredafrostbite.blogspot.com/p/decades-2015.html
Here are some pics from that very long day. http://royalcourts.ning.com/photo/photo ... zolfpErLIU
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDot MatrixAda RadiusGraham MillsSerene Jewell
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Hi Freda! Yes! New Media Arts can host music and literary events at the Cookie II world. We have several theaters and other venues. Contact me at adaradius@gmail.com or Selby at selbyevans@gmail.com.

Ada
Freda Frostbite wrote:Are we starting the festival on the 1st and ending on the 31st? or is it precisely four weeks? If so what dates are inclusive?

I am wondering about scheduling music events and the ball.

Next questions: Would anyone like to host music and literary events on their land? I am happy to run events but need locations for them. I will put the ball on my land and I am sure I can come up with a setting appropriate for readings and music, but if anyone who owns a historical sim would like events at their place, please let me know.

I used to be a music professor in a different life, so I could do weekly dances or listening sessions with music from the appropriate periods. Will also contact some folks I know in various worlds who do period music. Anyone in Kitely have period dances loaded to their dance gizmos?

As for poetry, I have a couple of ideas of things I might do or get others to do. A couple of years ago, I co-coordinated the Decades Fest in SL. One event we had was a one-hour History of the world's greatest poetry starting several centuries BCE and ending in 2015. That would be a marvelous program to have done again if y'all think it would fly.

Some of you may be interested in seeing what happened at that festival. There were several people involved that you will recognize from Kitely. Here is a listing of all that happened at that festival which was just twenty-four hours long. http://fredafrostbite.blogspot.com/p/decades-2015.html
Here are some pics from that very long day. http://royalcourts.ning.com/photo/photo ... zolfpErLIU
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsSelby Evans
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I will want to report about this in my blog.

Also, I have a region 4x4 which could host builds and events. Most of the region is undeveloped, so several sim-sized area could be available. If desired, some builds could be left up indefinitely with informative web posters and links to web sites.

Here is a hop to a built up area:
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Creative Collaborators/357/390/30
There are undeveloped areas nearby.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Serene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Sounds good, Selby. There may be people who need space to build or hold events.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Today I learned of this nice archive of downloadable files from the talented builder JP van de Giessen

http://www.giessenict.nl/index.php/nl/o ... -downloads

Folks might find some useful things here. There seem to be quite a few history-related items. Most seem to be available for Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Netherlands license.

How can we keep track of these type of resources? Google Doc? Something else?
Last edited by Serene Jewell on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Selby Evans