CRYPTOCURRENCY in VIRTUAL WORLDS: It's here in Kitely!

Current and upcoming events
Shandon Loring

CRYPTOCURRENCY in VIRTUAL WORLDS: It's here in Kitely!

Post by Shandon Loring »

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! THIS EVENT IS BEING REPRISED!
Please see new posting for Updated Info:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6353&p=31460

Come be educated and entertained!!
Mike Lorrey will be presenting 'The Great Simoleon Caper' for you. A prequel between the novel Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash.
Gain a deeper understanding of both VR and Cryptocurrency, at least the motives of those who created both, and how these technologies continue to fit together in the future

Mike Lorrey, as he's known in OpenSim (Kitely grid) and in the real world, was once known in Second Life as IntLibber Brautigan, one of the top 25 land barons and developers in SL. He was known to out-deal Anshe Chung, conquer griefer groups, make millions of L$ on virtual stock exchanges (some of which he built) and the most frequent guest on the Metanomics tv show on TreetTV.

Builder of The Black Sun club, Teller Motorsports Park, Major League Combat, and other names lost to SL history (those of you who are FIC may remember them), Mike was also once an editor of Neal Stephensons Quicksilver Metaweb wiki, and wrote a lot of background material on characters, places, and events in Mr Stephenson's various novels and stories. Mike's favorite, however, is Snow Crash, which Philip Rosedale has said he based Second Life on. The Great Simoleon Caper is a story that is set in the same universe as Snow Crash, as a prequel between the novel Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash (the third novel of the loose trilogy is The Diamond Age).

Outside of virtual worlds, Mike is also known for being a crypto-anarchist who contributed to the ideas that eventually resulted in the creation of the first cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and blockchain technology in general. (And NO, Mike is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto, so don't ask)
Thus, The Great Simoleon Caper is very near and dear to Mike's heart, almost as much as Snow Crash, and between the story and novel, the reader can gain a much deeper understanding of both VR and Cryptocurrency, at least the motives of those who created both, and how these technologies fit together in the future, as many hope..
Last edited by Shandon Loring on Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerKimm StarrAda RadiusSelby Evans
Joe Hartman
Has thanked: 0

Re: Friday Night - CRYPTOCURRENCY in VIRTUAL WORLDS: It's here in Kitely!

Post by Joe Hartman »

A very cool invitation. It's sad, of course, that I'm already a little late. Is there a recording of this person's speech? I would not mind looking at the recording, well, or at least find out if there will ever be something like this again?
These users thanked the author Joe Hartman for the post:
Shandon Loring
Thomas Peak
Has thanked: 0

Post by Thomas Peak »

I'm not sure that I can help you, of course, but now I'm also interested in a man named Mike Lorrey and his 'The Great Simoleon Caper'. How could I even miss something like this? I really hope that this will happen again at least once! I am always interested in learning more about cryptocurrency and where it came from. Of course, I don't have a cryptocurrency, but my friend made a simple farm and is slowly trying to earn money. I am sure of course that my friend will give up soon because his computer is too weak. It's probably much easier to just buy currency through some service like for example https://uphold.com/en/assets/crypto/buy-btc and wait until it grows, rather than trying to get it by farming.
These users thanked the author Thomas Peak for the post (total 2):
Shandon LoringAda Radius
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Thomas Peak wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:01 pm
I'm not sure that I can help you, of course, but now I'm also interested in a man named Mike Lorrey and his 'The Great Simoleon Caper'. How could I even miss something like this? I really hope that this will happen again at least once! I am always interested in learning more about cryptocurrency and where it came from. Of course, I don't have a cryptocurrency, but my friend made a simple farm and is slowly trying to earn money. I am sure of course that my friend will give up soon because his computer is too weak. It's probably much easier to just buy currency through some service like for example https://uphold.com/en/assets/crypto/buy-btc and wait until it grows, rather than trying to get it by farming.
Shandon and I are discussing doing a reprise performance, so I'll be reading both the story, and talking about the real life history of crypto pre-Satoshi-Nakamoto. Will post again once we have settled on a date.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringAda RadiusSelby Evans
Shandon Loring

Re: CRYPTOCURRENCY in VIRTUAL WORLDS: It's here in Kitely!

Post by Shandon Loring »

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! THIS EVENT IS BEING REPRISED!
Please see new posting for Updated Info:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6353&p=31460
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Selby Evans