Desktop Sharing via Browser-on-prim

Using virtual worlds for education
onyxty delta

Desktop Sharing via Browser-on-prim

Post by onyxty delta »

Does anyone have experience (positive) with sharing a desktop screen in Kitely via a browser-on-prim? This ability would certainly expand my use of a virtual environment for my classes. :)

I have tried join.me, fuxebox, and a few others. When I navigate to the meeting location in Kitely I get a blank screen.

Just curious.
Graham Mills

Re: Desktop Sharing via Browser-on-prim

Post by Graham Mills »

I used to use join.me (until they capped viewer numbers) but not via shared media -- although that used to work in SL iirc.
[Incidentally, join.me annotation available at Premium level appears to work although desktop display doesn't]

Did you try screenleap.com? I had no luck with join.me just now -- and it kept adding viewers. Screenleap at least let me view the laptop screen on my Nexus 7 2012 even if display on a prim inworld exceeded the viewer numbers permitted for use without registering (i.e. two). The unregistered version is also a little slow.

Graham
Doc Phair wrote:Does anyone have experience (positive) with sharing a desktop screen in Kitely via a browser-on-prim? This ability would certainly expand my use of a virtual environment for my classes. :)

I have tried join.me, fuxebox, and a few others. When I navigate to the meeting location in Kitely I get a blank screen.

Just curious.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

mikogo.com seems to work after a fashion although it requires the presenter to login. Logging-in a second user to the prim worked but was inevitably subject to the hall of mirrors effect and slowed as a consequence. Desktop display looked as though it might be OK though I ended up having to refresh the prim at frequent intervals.

I have to say that none of this constitutes "a positive experience". If anyone else has a solution, please share.
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

Graham Mills wrote:I used to use join.me (until they capped viewer numbers) but not via shared media -- although that used to work in SL iirc.

Did you try screenleap.com? I had no luck with join.me just now -- and it kept adding viewers. Screenleap at least let me view the laptop screen on my Nexus 7 2012 even if display on a prim inworld exceeded the viewer numbers permitted for use without registering (i.e. two). The unregistered version is also a little slow.

Graham
Doc Phair wrote:Does anyone have experience (positive) with sharing a desktop screen in Kitely via a browser-on-prim? This ability would certainly expand my use of a virtual environment for my classes. :)

Just curious.

Yes, I tried screenleap. It's very inconsistent and sloooow. Thanks for responding though! I'll have to check out mikogo.com. It's really strange to me that there isn't a good solution out there! :|
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I think you need to look carefully at which plugins the sharer's use...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

If you're referring to Java, some of the screensharing software is Java-based but many of the display clients aren't. Of course, the display clients may not be compatible with OpenSim for other reasons. Anyone tried Adobe Connect?
Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:I think you need to look carefully at which plugins the sharer's use...
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

Adobe Connect requires a client installation and is not browser based. I use Adobe Connect as a tool provided by the University. I end up sharing my Kitely screen in Adobe Connect. Would love for it to be the other way around. :D
Graham Mills wrote:If you're referring to Java, some of the screensharing software is Java-based but many of the display clients aren't. Of course, the display clients may not be compatible with OpenSim for other reasons. Anyone tried Adobe Connect?
Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:I think you need to look carefully at which plugins the sharer's use...
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

LiveLook.com appears to be promising as it doesn't require any downloads or installs on the client side. I'm in communication with them at the moment to see if I can get a trial period to test it out. It's not free, and not exactly inexpensive either. But, if it works well (consistency and performance) I might give it a go.

I'll post back here on my findings for others who might also be interested.
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

I made a discovery today after tinkering and searching a bit...

As it turns out, OSX Mavericks and Flash 11.9 have issues when it comes to presenting flash-based stuff in Firestorm (and apparently Singularity). I noticed this when I was playing around with another prim I have that plays a YouTube video. All I got was sound and a blank screen.

The fix for Flash is to uninstall Flash and install 11.7. Worked like a charm.

I then went back and tested join.me again (a free account allows you to broadcast to up to 9 participants). While it was a bit slow, it worked well. Join.me also has a control on the page for full-screen mode. Entering that in my region actually worked nicely.

I'll stick with join.me for now. The challenge will be the configuration of my visitors. :( But, I'm happy with what I've been able to do so far. :D
These users thanked the author onyxty delta for the post:
Graham Mills
Andrew Daves
Has thanked: 0

Post by Andrew Daves »

Interesting, I thought Adobe Connect used Flash. RHUB's TurboMeeting (and the similar GoMeetNow) require the host to install an application, but attendees can join the meeting in a browser even if Flash is not installed. TM and GMN both rank a couple notches ahead of Adobe Connect: https://www.webconferencing-test.com/
These users thanked the author Andrew Daves for the post:
Graham Mills