Education-related rentals?

Using virtual worlds for education
Graham Mills

Education-related rentals?

Post by Graham Mills »

I was wondering whether there was scope for an (eventually) hypergrid-enabled, free access world aimed at educators where you could rent parcels and share use of a central auditorium, freebie shop and sandbox? I appreciate that the idea is a slightly odd one in the current context but it might be worth considering for those just getting started or seeking a social dimension.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Re: Education-related rentals?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Maybe I'm not understanding you properly Graham but, once we enable world managers to enable hypergird access to their worlds, what prevents educators from offering such worlds to their peers?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Nothing, Ilan. It was more a question for educators, whether there was sufficient interest.
Ilan Tochner wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding you properly Graham but, once we enable world managers to enable hypergird access to their worlds, what prevents educators from offering such worlds to their peers?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Okay, cool :-)
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Graham Mills wrote:I was wondering whether there was scope for an (eventually) hypergrid-enabled, free access world aimed at educators where you could rent parcels and share use of a central auditorium, freebie shop and sandbox? I appreciate that the idea is a slightly odd one in the current context but it might be worth considering for those just getting started or seeking a social dimension.
This does sound like a natural situation for one of those "communities" we've been discussing the formation of in many other threads. Someone could set up a world as you state and then charge fellow educators enough for parcels to cover the costs of the world each month. (At least hopefully that is how it would work out.)

If anyone is considering doing something like Graham suggests above and having a lot of prims available in this shared world will be important to those using the world, I would strongly suggest setting up the world before December 31st. The same goes if high concurrency is required (needing simultaneous access for more than 20-30 avatars at a time). I can't tell you what the new unlimited options will be on January 1st, but I can guarantee you that a limit of 100k prims and 100 avatars at a time won't be available on any of the lowest cost plans. Until the end of the year you can have both of those things for $40/month for a single-region unlimited world.

Granted, it doesn't seem likely that anyone will ever use 100k prims in a single world (unless they are deliberately testing the system that way). But not having to worry about what a new build will do to my prim count is one of the reasons I upgraded my own main world to unlimited. Sometimes it's nice to have one less thing to worry about in this hectic world. ;)
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Graham Mills wrote:I was wondering whether there was scope for an (eventually) hypergrid-enabled, free access world aimed at educators where you could rent parcels and share use of a central auditorium, freebie shop and sandbox? I appreciate that the idea is a slightly odd one in the current context but it might be worth considering for those just getting started or seeking a social dimension.
----
Sounds like a good idea for Kitely. I searched the Kitely public worlds for educator and found about 45 regions.
http://www.kitely.com/search?q=educator

That includes Universal-Campus and The-Holodeck-at-the-University-of-Hawaii-Manoa. Some may just be educator friendly, offering free space, freebies, and perhaps beginner help. (Providing free accomodations to new educators and their classes could be a useful way to build traffic to a region.)

I will be reporting on some of these things in my blog over the next few months. Perhaps you would like to take the lead in organizing a group of people interested in helping educators get started in Opensim. I would be interested in working (and reporting) on such a project in my blog.

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/

Selby
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Selby,

It's important to note that there are quite a few more private education-related worlds than public ones. Also, the Public Worlds page Education quicksearch filter can only find worlds that have a world name or world description that indicates the world is education related.