SciEthics2: Rainforest Island

Using virtual worlds for education
Graham Mills

SciEthics2: Rainforest Island

Post by Graham Mills »

This is the Rainforest Island sim, one of two developed by students working on a project headed by Larysa Nadolny and funded by NSF and HP. The version here was downloaded from the project website on 10th April 2014. It needs some attention before it will run nicely on Kitely and as such is a work-in-progress.

Link to world: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Gra ... SciEthics2 (no longer public pending further work)

The aim of the project was to develop immersive spaces that could be used to explore ethics as they relate to science. You can see more at http://www.drnadolny.com/.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Kayaker Magic

Re: SciEthics2: Rainforest Island

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I'm interested in the Rainforest Island, I have a rainforest on my world!
I went to explore, and although the parachutes are marked as anyone can copy and full perm, there is a permissions issue with something inside and it will not let me have one. I tried flying to the surface, but flying is disabled. I tried just falling down to explore, but I get TPed back into the airplane before I get close to the ground.

Frustrating!
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post:
Selby Evans
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Aha! If I cam down to the ground and sit on a hammock, I can stand up and walk around to explore without the "no parachute TP" dragging me back up to the airplane.

Yipee! The zip-line ride works!
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

It's an odd problem to do with the parachute animation which seems to be no copy, no mod. If you cam under the plane you'll see the original parachute givers. They should be OK.

PS: I've restored the old parachute giver as well as the forced attachment one. The no-fly is as specified by the OAR creators (the zipline is somewhat redundant otherwise). I've taken the world out of public until I've had a chance to work on it further.
Kayaker Magic wrote:I'm interested in the Rainforest Island, I have a rainforest on my world!
I went to explore, and although the parachutes are marked as anyone can copy and full perm, there is a permissions issue with something inside and it will not let me have one. I tried flying to the surface, but flying is disabled. I tried just falling down to explore, but I get TPed back into the airplane before I get close to the ground.

Frustrating!