Single region Universal Campus

Using virtual worlds for education
Graham Mills

Single region Universal Campus

Post by Graham Mills »

This is very much a work-in-progress but may be of interest to educators. This four-region iconic build by Nebadon Izumi (licensed CC-BY-SA) is one of the default options for Kitely. I have abstracted a slightly condensed version of the main hall and added the lab building, all within the confines of a single region. The land has been flattened for the moment and other buildings and system plants have been removed. The size of the OAR is currently 60% of the original. I'm continuing to work on the build and will post an OAR when the basics have been completed. I'm sure others have done something similar but am not aware of it being available for download.

Anyway, I'll leave the world open for the next day or so for anyone interested.

https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Gr ... sal-Campus
grid.kitely.com:8002:Single region Universal Campus
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Re: Single region Universal Campus

Post by Shandon Loring »

Thats very cool Graham! I've been working to add just the main hall of Universal Campus, with the avatar and bits vendors, to a sky level at Seanchai Mall. I'm anxious to see what you've accomplished!
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Thanks, Shandon. As I said, it is a WIP and presently the auditorium is slightly borked and needs attention. The main hall got "condensed" at this point so a couple of rooms adjacent to the auditorium have also been removed. There are other issues in terms of aesthetics, usability and functionality which I will address over time. In particular the intention is to develop a control panel for teachers to enable a degree of customization in terms of both display surfaces and rezzed objects so that classes can be integrated into the overall build in short order.

As of yesterday the OAR looked like this (in case anyone wants to build off it before further mods are made).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 ... R_v0_1.oar

Please remember that this is licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0).

Incidentally, getting rid of the system plants was pretty time-consuming as they can't be group-selected. I ended up creating parcels outwith the buildings and using area search with parcel return to get rid of the plants. Some were removed by derendering parts of the building, others by vertically translating the builds off the terrain in Sim-on-a-Stick to ease access. The same command (translate scene) and its relative (rotate scene) were used along with Kitely's world resizer to squeeze the two builds into a relatively confined space. I think this was probably more reliable than doing a mass group select.

PS SR stands for Single Region.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

This was slightly more borked than I initially thought. This version (CC-BY-SA Michael Cerquoni/Nebadon Izumi) is better with some internal remedial work although some of the paths still overhang the sim edges.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 ... R_v0_2.oar

PS: I still need to get the prim count down so you may need to wait before deploying this on the grid.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Still numerous glitches and currently without avatar vendors and teleporters but now just under 15000 prims (14974) so should work, i.e. untested, with a starter world but I guess some way to go before it would be a good fit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 ... R_v0_3.oar
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I note that my public dropbox folder is no longer public (and likely hasn't been for some time). The single region oar file (originally CC BY-SA Nebadon Izumi) is now available here:

https://drive.proton.me/urls/0QM1CRYRVG#k8KTV0DVCjSY

These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerShandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

super nifty!!
Thank You GM!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Graham Mills
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

super nifty!!
Thank You GM!
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Added some walls and off-sim grass where necessary, roughed the terrain up a little and planted a few Encantada trees.

Not sure what to do next (if anything). Scripting some kind of media server for the screens would be interesting. Maybe a library of some kind.

Haven't made this available for download yet pending further mods.