Prim Media compatible screen sharing app

Using virtual worlds for education
Mike Lorrey

Prim Media compatible screen sharing app

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Many of us have used screenleap for years to share our screens on inworld prim media, but recent changes at Screenleap have limited the amount of time one can use it daily on a free screenleap account, and the latest upgrade has made it unusable on inworld prim media.
A replacement I just started using is Crankwheel.com, which seems to refresh faster than Screenleap and offers better resolution.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 6):
Graham MillsIlan TochnerZed deTremontSelby EvansShandon LoringAda Radius
Shandon Loring

Re: Prim Media compatible screen sharing app

Post by Shandon Loring »

Thank you Mike!
I will play with crankwheel asap!!

Screenleap, the pay version, is actually working inworld for us at this time, but they've "improved" their interface to the point that it is a hassle, and costs WAY too much for what is available for free.. like from Crankwheel perhaps. Personally I'm very disappointed in Screenleap also due to their notification method (lack of) for changes, and due to their instability. At least that has been my experience.. YMMV

(note for those that love screenleap.. i agree it is can be an awesome product but it doesn't fit our needs anymore)

Just to note, and I thought we should ask the Ilan/Oren super duo... the issue that I've run into apparently has to do with usability of HTML4 in new viewers, more specifically the non-usability. From what I've gathered, as we all know, you can play a Youtube video for example on an inworld prim - we use this extensively all over Seanchai for educational uses.. Stonehenge, Easter Island, Newgrange, etc.

However... while it is very easy to setup a livestream to Youtube, or Twitch.tv, or what have you.. the Live Stream implementation will not work on inworld media, even though a 'regular' video does.

From what I can gather, a 'regular' Youtube video uses HTML5, which is compatible with Viewers, but Live Stream Youtube (or Twitch or what have you) uses HTML4 which has been removed from Viewers due to licensing restrictions.

So.. questions to the Overlords...
1) Does this seem like a correct assessment of the situation?
2) Any idea how to use Youtube Livestream on inworld media prims?

Thank you !!!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

As you know, we don't currently do viewer development so improvements that require modifying the viewer aren't something we can address at this time. My suggestion is to talk to the people developing Scenegate viewer to see if they can address the issue you've raised without violating any video codec licensing issues.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Shandon LoringChris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 am
Hi Shandon,

As you know, we don't currently do viewer development so improvements that require modifying the viewer aren't something we can address at this time. My suggestion is to talk to the people developing Scenegate viewer to see if they can address the issue you've raised without violating any video codec licensing issues.
We'd need to submit feature requests to all viewer teams.