Universal Campus presentations

Using virtual worlds for education
Bård Engen 2

Universal Campus presentations

Post by Bård Engen 2 »

I've just started to use Universal Campus on some university courses. I've been searching around, also in this forum, for instructions for using presentations in my classes. I first stumbled across Preso-Matic Turbo from Kitley Markeds. That was more or less a waste of money. Too old and too buggy.

Then I discovered an old thread in this forum about the same topic. One suggestion made me aware of the possibility to show browser content on the displays. After some trial and error I've now managed to present YouTube movies, web pages, etc. Regarding presentations, I can now just upload PowerPoint slides to Google Drive and present my slides in Google Slides on every thinkable displays in the Universal campus. However, I'm still not completely finished in finding the perfect solution.

The problem is that what I choose to present on the displays is only visible to me. After I have linked media to a specific display, my students or colleagues also get controls to browse web pages etc., but the content only applies to each individual. So my question is how I can make the output on the display apply to every person/avatar in the same room? In other words: I want to present my google slides on the display so that every student can see what I'm presenting and at the same time preventing them any interactions with the content besides watching me changing between slides?

Anyone?
These users thanked the author Bård Engen 2 for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Selby Evans

Re: Universal Campus presentations

Post by Selby Evans »

What you want is a slide presenter like Preso matic Turbo. These show textures, not media. I have seen several in use on Marian and they are working well. Here is the location of one in a Firestorm hop
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Marian Island/137/114/22
Put this in the address bar of Firestorm and press return.

There is one deficiency with Preso -- this may have made it seem buggy-- as set up for use, the controls respond to anyone's click and the screen may also respond to anyone's click. People in the audience will click on things and cause the slide to change. The simple solution to that: put a transparent prim between it and the audience. You stand on the Preso side of the prim and your clicks work. The clicks from the audience go to the transparent prim. If you need help on this (or anything else) feel free to ask. I am a retired professor (TCU). I set you a friend invitation.

Marian Island is the home of a group of professors and students in the MALET program at Empire State College (SUNY). You would be welcome to come to meetings. Eileen O'Conner, the owner, is a professor in that program. She owns and uses the Preso, so she could help you with any problem.

I have a simpler slide-show script--I can edit that, so if you want I can give you a simpler (and not buggy) slide show. If you find a bug, I can probably fix it.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Bård Engen 2
Bård Engen 2

Re: Universal Campus presentations

Post by Bård Engen 2 »

Selby Evans wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:55 pm
What you want is a slide presenter like Preso matic Turbo. These show textures, not media. I have seen several in use on Marian and they are working well. Here is the location of one in a Firestorm hop
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Marian Island/137/114/22
Put this in the address bar of Firestorm and press return.
Thank you so much. As said, I'm quite new to Open Sim even though I've been doing some teaching in Second Life on a "borrowed" island with no possibilities to modify or make changes.
Selby Evans wrote:
There is one deficiency with Preso -- this may have made it seem buggy-- as set up for use, the controls respond to anyone's click and the screen may also respond to anyone's click. People in the audience will click on things and cause the slide to change. The simple solution to that: put a transparent prim between it and the audience. You stand on the Preso side of the prim and your clicks work. The clicks from the audience go to the transparent prim. If you need help on this (or anything else) feel free to ask. I am a retired professor (TCU). I set you a friend invitation.
I looked at the examples at Marian Island and got Preso matic Turbo to work much better now on my Universal Campus. How do I proceed to make a transparent prim? I'm a professor at OMU, Norway btw.
Selby Evans wrote:
Marian Island is the home of a group of professors and students in the MALET program at Empire State College (SUNY). You would be welcome to come to meetings. Eileen O'Conner, the owner, is a professor in that program. She owns and uses the Preso, so she could help you with any problem.
A meeting would be very interesting. I would like to learn from your experiences.