Universal Campus: How to use presentation screens?

Using virtual worlds for education
Justin Smith

Re: Universal Campus: How to use presentation screens?

Post by Justin Smith »

Yes, I think OS has drawing-on-a-prim commands that do not exist in SL. The SL whiteboard actually created colored prims on the board as you drew --- a major resource hog (when I drew something, it wouldn't appear on the whiteboard for 30 seconds --- and I was the only person on that sim!).
"As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be
Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth." --- Johann
Wolfgang von Goethe
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Hi Justin,
you're right the draw-on-a-prim options can be used to create boards for Kitely/OpenSim - the first two very basic boards I had put into the Market recently use this technique, but for text only so far.
The schoolboard I'm half through in scripting will have some additional capability to place simple geometric objects with text - however free drawing is a challenge with this technique. :?
For free drawing I think web-based whiteboards are the better option and actually after some searching I found two that work with a web-on-a-prim browser nicely. The one I prefer is the groupboard:
http://www.groupboard.com
With the free board you can get there after registration you can draw free lines and forms, fill forms with colors, erase stuff and write/edit text in-world and even collaborate from in-world with others using their RL-browsers on a PC or tablet. :D
I plan to make an in-world demo of this in week of Dec 9 (traveling all next week) - will send an invite for that from here.
And furtheron I plan to integrate this as an option into my future advanceds boards as well.

Cheers Min
Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

Yes Groupboard seems to work well but --- although it's free to use now, this might not always be true. And if it is, the company might fold (like some other Groupboard-like company I used to use) --- a company has to make money somehow. I'll look for a GPL version of this type of software (or develop it...). A true OpenSim board would solve the problem of echoing changes to the board in one viewer to all of the others. A web-based board also depends on the media-webkit working, something that can be a problem. Every other release of the viewers I use (Kokua, Singularity) break it.

The kind of teaching I envision involves mathematical equations, which can be sketched freehand. Another possibility is typesetting mathematical equations entered in TeX form --- there's a nice Javascript program to do this. Perhaps I can translate it into a C# script that would run on a prim...
Wolfgang von Goethe
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Justin Smith wrote:The kind of teaching I envision involves mathematical equations, which can be sketched freehand. Another possibility is typesetting mathematical equations entered in TeX form --- there's a nice Javascript program to do this. Perhaps I can translate it into a C# script that would run on a prim...
Another maths person 8-)
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Great to see some innovative thinking underway.

Admittedly it uses shared media/webkit but Google Docs Viewer might do a reasonable job for asynchronous display of documents https://docs.google.com/viewer.
Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

Yes, that would work for displaying presentations in pdf form. It's too bad that the media-webkit doesn't support Java applets (even when it's working!) because there are multiple open source solutions in that case (Jarnel, etc).
Wolfgang von Goethe
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Think it might be good to have some discussion on needs for interactive boards:
I'd like to invite people interested to a themed discussion/workshop on boards (text, graphics, media) for Kitely.

Will do it at my place: Min's Creation Island , Friday Dec 13th @ 11:00-12:00 PST (20:00 CET)

Besides discussing my own first textboards and the current project for an interactive schoolboard I'll show how "groupboard" can be used effectively within Kitely as drawing tool and as collaboration tool with other in-world-players or anyone outside at a PC or tablet.
These users thanked the author Min Tigerpaw for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsJustin Smith
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Thanks, Min, for extending the session to accommodate those who couldn't make the first hour. Very interesting event, some great demo boards and a good opportunity to network.

Graham
Min Tigerpaw wrote:Think it might be good to have some discussion on needs for interactive boards:
I'd like to invite people interested to a themed discussion/workshop on boards (text, graphics, media) for Kitely.

Will do it at my place: Min's Creation Island , Friday Dec 13th @ 11:00-12:00 PST (20:00 CET)

Besides discussing my own first textboards and the current project for an interactive schoolboard I'll show how "groupboard" can be used effectively within Kitely as drawing tool and as collaboration tool with other in-world-players or anyone outside at a PC or tablet.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 4):
Selby EvansDeuce HalseyMin TigerpawHandy Low
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Yes, it was an interesting meeting (even though I couldn't get there until it was nearly over), and I learned a lot. Thanks, Min!
Handy Low