Force avatars to wear clothing or edit the default avatar

Using virtual worlds for education
Ilan Tochner

Re: Force avatars to wear clothing or edit the default avata

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We'll need to implement group accounts first and a GUI to manage them so different users could be assigned different roles with different permissions.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Sherrie MelodyGraham MillsKeith Selmes
Sully Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sully Sullivan »

Sounds like the ideas are pouring in. I have made some headway and found some other solutions. I recently found a version or Sim-on-a-stick that is made for education. The child avatars that are created in this world have the underwear on that is much more appropriate. Wasn't sure if this could somehow be implemented in Kitely. No matter how much clothing the students remove, There is still an underwear level the looks to be impossible to move. This kind of what I was looking for.

The drawback of this approach is, students will not be able to reach the world from anywhere unless I rent a virtual machine or server to host the sim-on-a-stick.

Again, appreciate everyone's response.

Pat
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I suspect those are the same skins that Dot discussed and the avatars are ultimately subject to the same issues raised by Sherrie and Ilan. You can, of course, save the sim as an OAR and upload it to Kitely if you decide to go with a hosted solution. It's perhaps worth mentioning that you can also use SoaS in a limited multi-user mode: http://iliveisl.com/multi-user-sim-on-a-stick/ . Incidentally, have you checked that there are no port/firewall issues with your school?
Sully Sullivan wrote:Sounds like the ideas are pouring in. I have made some headway and found some other solutions. I recently found a version or Sim-on-a-stick that is made for education. The child avatars that are created in this world have the underwear on that is much more appropriate. Wasn't sure if this could somehow be implemented in Kitely. No matter how much clothing the students remove, There is still an underwear level the looks to be impossible to move. This kind of what I was looking for.

The drawback of this approach is, students will not be able to reach the world from anywhere unless I rent a virtual machine or server to host the sim-on-a-stick.

Again, appreciate everyone's response.

Pat
Sully Sullivan

Post by Sully Sullivan »

I have tested SOAS and used it successfully in multi-user mode. It is the closest solution I have so far. However, I am absolutely positive the local SOAS world cannot be reached from outside the school. The firewall and proxy in place in our district have always blocked connections like this. I had created a pretty substantial intranet system for our school and asked the IT people above me if a port could be opened in our firewall to allow outside access to the intranet system. It was very quickly shot down.

That is why I was looking to go with something like Kitely.
These users thanked the author Sully Sullivan for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting remote access to multi-user SoaS, more querying whether there were any issues in connecting to Kitely itself.
Sully Sullivan wrote:I have tested SOAS and used it successfully in multi-user mode. It is the closest solution I have so far. However, I am absolutely positive the local SOAS world cannot be reached from outside the school. The firewall and proxy in place in our district have always blocked connections like this. I had created a pretty substantial intranet system for our school and asked the IT people above me if a port could be opened in our firewall to allow outside access to the intranet system. It was very quickly shot down.

That is why I was looking to go with something like Kitely.
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

I'm still very new to Kitely, so I may be incorrect here. But I was under the impression that all adult content available for sale or as freebies in Kitely was supposed to be limited to worlds that were defined as Adult-rated. If that is actually the case, would it be possible to provide students with a viewer that had adult-rated worlds locked out? That would limit students to visiting worlds on the Kitely grid that were rated either General or Moderate. That would be a simple way to keep the kids from getting their mitts on the really professional virtual genitalia, etc.

Of course this wouldn't stop enterprising young builders from making their own crude versions of these things. But as others have stated, that goes back to staff supervision of the kids while they are in-world at school.

This thread seems to indicate a large potential market for tools that would allow educators to bring their students safely into the Kitely grid (and other OS grids) for educational purposes. Makers of skins, shapes, clothing, viewers and so forth should take note of this fact.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Deuce,

Our TOS require Adult-rated content to only be used in Adult-rated worlds but that isn't enforced by our system (it's easy for people to create new Adult-rated content inworld and give it another rating). What is enforced is that users can only enter worlds which are appropriate for their account's maturity rating. So, for example, someone with an account maturity rating of General can only enter General-rated worlds and only people with account maturity rating of Adult can enter Adult-rated worlds.

People can change their account maturity rating in their account's Settings page but the maximum maturity rating they can set is defined by their date of birth (DOB). We get the DOB by prompting you the first time you try to change your account maturity rating (or by querying Facebook at that time if you created your account using Facebook). Once set, you can't change your account's DOB. This means that parents or teachers creating accounts for children can supply us a date of birth that would indicate the child is under 13 years old to lock the account's maturity rating to General until the child is 13 years old. They don't have to supply the correct DOB, they can choose to enter a fake one that would indicate the child is just 1 year old so that he or she will have time to grow up before the system will allow them to change their account maturity rating.

Please note that our system provides new users with a Moderate maturity rating until it gets their DOB. Our TOS doesn't allow children under 13 to open an account themselves, this must be done by their parent or legal custodian which is then required to supervise their action inworld until they become 13 years old. As that's the case parents can lock-in the child's account maturity rating by using the aforementioned method.
Tim Rayworth
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tim Rayworth »

This is not an issue for just educators. For my groups, the idea of becoming nude in public is inappropriate. I'm not worried about people going about and making themselves naked, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has "removed all clothing" inadvertently when first starting out in SL. For my groups that would be a distraction--at best-- if not a show-stopper.

Default avatar skins with undergarments baked-on would be a great first step. Then people who wish to express themselves through nudity could do so knowingly by acquiring a skin of their choice; wearing it would be subject to community norms (or rules). This actually seems like the most reasonable way to begin if Kitely's baseline is for regions to be g-rated. Anything less seems contradictory.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Did you know that a person under 18 can look down the front of their own trousers or take off their own clothes and expose themselves to under 18 nudity ?
But you have to be over 18 to be able to change your underwear ! Too much worry and hysteria bugs me.

There are more controls in a virtual world than in the real one. You can simply click or type something to remove them from the area, where in the physical world you'd probably be arrested for trying to do the same.

You can't force someone to wear underwear in a virtual world any more than you can in the physical world - however there is an API built into many of the viewers that can be used to control another avatars behaviour and restrict their actions. It can of course be easily disabled if you don't control everything the other person can do on their computer.

Or you could just say something along the lines of "please behave the way you'd be expected to behave in a public place".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
jim milton
Been thanked: 0

Post by jim milton »

The above thread about the child avatars sounds very informative and I actually come to know some great stuff of this.