Devokan Storytellers Note

Role playing in virtual worlds
Danko Whitfield

Devokan Storytellers Note

Post by Danko Whitfield »

I have posted the notice for our next gathering in the Events and Activities subforum of the Kitely Forums. Check it out!

Last month I posted the notice here in the Communities<Role Playing section but it was moved by the forum moderator to Events and Activities. So I put it there this time.

I put this note here to get the attention of members and be sure you see the full notice. We can talk about this further at the gathering. Where the notice gets posted is an important matter and there are pros and cons to discuss. Cross-posting it to both of the subforums mentioned might be the best thing. But we can talk about that.

Now go read the notice!

See you on Sunday.
Ruby O'Degee

Re: Devokan Storytellers Note Part 1 - Storybuilding

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Note: The following is not the summary. Mr. Whitfield does a very nice job of summarizing the gathering of storytellers. The following is a musing - not necessarily amusing :D

This morning's unmeeting turned into a substantive discussion about several matters, including how we could include storybuilders, storyweavers, 3D world/age illustrators and "game writers," who use the device of role playing to further their stories. Another thanks to you Danko for keeping us on topic and timely. It is a challenge to keep storytellers from derailing. ;)

What interested me most was one non-member's suggestion that we invite storybuilders or and storyweavers to share their worlds (ages) with us, so that we linear writers can experience and write about the worlds in our stories. I thought it was a wonderful idea, much like we've done with Myst/Uru ages and our own builds. Of course, those of us who build environments and write can continue to do both, but the invitation opens up a wider universe to write about right here in Kitely.

I am still considering a post in the "other communities" section. In keeping with the "Trust" model for 3D building experimentation, I would like to find out whether there are more of us out there? I know there are many diary and journal keepers at large in the metaverse. Or at least there were during the attempts to restore the D'ni cavern, but I wonder if the "art" has evolved, and how many are working with it? This question is directed at both age writers who write a story and those who use terrain, objects and scripts to tell their stories?

To clarify, I am by no means opposed to the label RP writer. It has served my purpose for several years, but I only role played once or twice. I am not good at leveling or sticking to script. It is more accurate to say that I role played for research purposes, and I continue to use gentle roleplay for the same reason. Is it possible there are lots of other folks, who put their characters into 3D settings and let them find a story to tell?

All this to say it is so nice to have a place to talk through these new delivery methods for story. Sitting on a intricately carved stool/stump in Curiosity around a friendly fire on a Sunday morning is a lovely way to begin the week.
Last edited by Ruby O'Degee on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ruby O'Degee for the post:
Dot Macchi
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Ruby O'Degee

Devokan Storytellers Note Part 2 - Storybuilding

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

To prepare for the Kitely Storyteller's Meeting Sunday morning @11 EST. Dragon's Teeth, I decided to prepare a little "sorting it all out tutorial" that utilized OHN's NPC script in combination with Furious Typer's NPC pathmaker script. Ohn's notecard is great, but I like to now why a script works or doesn't. No other scripts seemed to work well for me. As the storybuilder director of my actor NPCs, I needed something I could use to keep my NPC resetting when the world opened, and that I could change out readily with a bit of configuration. I can go in change a long script here and there, but my eye aren't as good as they used to be, and I make those silly syntax errors. More than one compiler has chucked out the nonsense I put into it. :?

I did not make many configuration changes to either the script or notecards. I did use the path maker to lay out the short path, and I did edit the notecards with my position findings. I changed out an animation. The NPC I directed to talk to visitors In Neverland to Nigh Earth is doing what I wanted her to do.

As a storybuilder, who finds the stories in my worlds while I am building it, I am interested in unique ways to turn lateral world stories into a somewhat constrained linear story. Scenery, props and moods are nice, but hints and clues keep an explorer involved in the journey.

I am also anticipating our discussion about telling a story with clue cards and paths or walkways. The combined elements of cards, paths and NPCs that role players can use to move through a storybuild without needing other roleplayers to assist in real time is of real interest to me - game design for serious and not-so-purposes.

If you plan on coming Sunday, or if you want to sort out some scripts the easier way with pictures, you can take a looksee here. http://rubyodegee.blogspot.com/2013/07/ ... -some.html

My Princess Pea only looks like Cinderella. She is a wee more wicked than she looks. I also made a pdf version of the blog post if there is a need. PM me here please. I will send you the link.

EDIT: There are a few (not many) good tutorials out there in google or other land, but I need step by step instruction card, a stable and thorough script(s), a way to get my hands on the script and pictures - I'm more like my young students than I want to admit. Working through a tutorial helped me sort it all out. 8-)
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)