Building Your Role Play World

Role playing in virtual worlds
Ozwell Wayfarer

Re: Building Your Role Play World

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

thanks for the heads up about snappytrees! Sadly I tried it out today and it seems to not want to export anything. I am using chrome and trying to load in Blender, but no mater the option I choose, it spits out an 8kb file which is empty :cry: so no snappy trees for me just yet. I am downloading other things with the browser, so I assume it is an issue on their side.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ozwell Wayfarer

Horatio Clawtooth is another sculptmap/texture creator I have found yesterday with some good medieval stuff who also seems very open to people using his stuff on other grids. To quote: "The main idea is to have fun, isnt it?" :lol: indeed it is. Plenty of ramparts, gates and other bits and pieces in his store. I would still PM to ask out of politelness though. So far I would say I am having a 40/45% success rate out of all that I have asked, and some interesting conversations to boot! Means you have to log in to SL to do it though :x ha!
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Ohn LangBladyblue Bommerang
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

One sculpty maker that I approached with positive results was Deep Blue Sea Designs. We agreed that I would keep and append a copy of our conversation to the regular ToS and that I would keep a list of which packs I had purchased to use on Kitely. The designer (the avatar is an otter, NO idea what sex it is, lol) checked Kitely out and was happy with the content protection provisions here. I am trying to be careful to only buy with extended licenses from folks I have reason to think are honest.

Adagio
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post (total 2):
Ozwell WayfarerBladyblue Bommerang
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:Horatio Clawtooth is another sculptmap/texture creator I have found yesterday with some good medieval stuff who also seems very open to people using his stuff on other grids. To quote: "The main idea is to have fun, isnt it?" :lol: indeed it is. Plenty of ramparts, gates and other bits and pieces in his store. I would still PM to ask out of politelness though. So far I would say I am having a 40/45% success rate out of all that I have asked, and some interesting conversations to boot! Means you have to log in to SL to do it though :x ha!
It would be great to have a topic devoted to listing SL Creators who sell/ extended licensing that allows import and use of their products in Kitely. I purchased extended licensing from the [HOT] textures creator. She was really nice about it.

I don't know which area it would belong in though. New and Interesting/Content maybe? It would make for a great forum sticky too.
These users thanked the author Ohn Lang for the post (total 3):
Ozwell WayfarerBladyblue BommerangAdagio Greenwood
Ozwell Wayfarer

I second Ohns suggestion! A resource thread would be great as a sticky. :geek:

Adagio has a very good point. I make a habit of keeping all conversations, and prefer getting written permission via email if the creator is ok with that. I am trying to work with the larger more established creators with a positive history for exactly this reason. Marketplace reviews can sometimes be helpful in learning a bit about the temperament of a creator before you take the plunge and ask ;) .

If you leave reviews, make sure you point out in the review that the creator allowed you to use them in Kitely once you asked. Its a flag for the rest of us, gives Kitely a name check, and it gives you some backup should you ever need it. Obviously, if they only let you grudgingly, it would be best to leave that part out. I have has some agree only on the condition that I NEVER tell anyone where I got it. Like its a national security risk or something :roll: I tend to leave those ones alone.
Bladyblue BommerangAdagio Greenwood
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:...I have has some agree only on the condition that I NEVER tell anyone where I got it. Like its a national security risk or something :roll: I tend to leave those ones alone.
Yeah, that would make me nervous. If I can't tell people where I got something from and the creator won't admit to providing extended licensing,then it leaves me open to being accused of copybotting without defense unless I break a promise. Yuck.
These users thanked the author Ohn Lang for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Adagio Greenwood

Ugh, yes, very off-putting. The great thing about buying from the texture etc. vendors who sell online (like Skye) is that there is no question about which license you have purchased.

Adagio
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Dinero Outlander

Post by Dinero Outlander »

Personally I don't like unnecessary “Globals” or "sticky’s". Once these tools start getting used for information only important to a few people it quickly gets out of hand. They pile up and are forever getting in the way making me scroll WAY down to find what I REALLY want to find or haven’t seen 9000 times already. The sticky I have seen every time I open the forum. Globals, and stickys should be reserved for important to EVEYONE announcements, and removed as quickly as feasible. (Just my two cents on it  )

Although it is a good Idea to have a dedicated thread for Extended licensing Vendors.
These users thanked the author Dinero Outlander for the post:
Adagio Greenwood
"I have often regretted my words, but never my silence."
"Talking comes by nature, Silence by wisdom." -Unknown
Ozwell Wayfarer

Fair point Dinero, but I do contend that the info will be useful to most people at some point.

I have started a thread in the Building and Texturing sub-forum.

http://forums.kitely.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=137
Bladyblue BommerangAdagio Greenwood
Adagio Greenwood

Thanks for doing that, Ozwell! I don't have any opinion on stickies but I bookmarked the thread so made my own stickie. :)

Adagio