Should I take the risk?

Role playing in virtual worlds
Amiryu Hosoi

Should I take the risk?

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey all, I am playing around a bit,in Kitely, importing, exporting, building, using the Marketplace etc. And I must say, It all works very nice;-) Some of you know I used to run 4 RPG regions in SL based on a Edo Period Japanese Theme. These regions were very detailed. I am thinking of rebuilding the regions here but I am not sure if ppl would visit or join. I love creating and building nice scenery but not for myself alone.

So, what do you think, would there be a userbase for free high detail Edo Japanese RPG regions here in Kitely? If so, I would start right away but if not, should I take the risk to do all the work?. Will Kitely be happy whith a new set of high quality regions?

Please give me your feedback on this,

Kind regards,

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineOzwell Wayfarer
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Ilan Tochner

Re: Should I take the risk?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Amiryu,

We're always happy to host more quality worlds we can recommend to people.

Regarding priorities, I'd suggest focusing on the getting your products into Kitely Market before spending a lot of time building a world. Once those products are up they can help serve as a good lure to draw people to your RPG (you can mention that world in your store description).
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Ilan,

Yes, focus will be on listing items first but I cant help myself feeling the urge to build;-) Btw, what do you think, should we merchants also create an inworld store next to our Marketplace appearance so customers can actually see the products as they are? Maybe we can set up some kind of poll for this kind of questions?

Ami
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Many people like interacting with items before buying them so having an inworld store as well as a Kitely Market one can help such people feel more comfortable paying for your items.

If you do so I recommend scripting your vendors to direct to the displayed item's Kitely Market product page (just copy the URL of the item when viewing it in non-edit mode). This will enable you to get paid in real money instead of just using KC and will let you use all the Kitely Market features for handling post-sales customer support (sales history, redelivery/refund tools, Export control, business analytics (in the future), etc.).
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

For more expensive purchases I definitely like to see items in world before buying them.

Placing them in some sort of environmental context rather than just a shop is a great way of showing them off, and gives enjoyment to visitors as well as customers.

So you might do both!
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Dot, yes, I agree, in Sl I used to have a big Market, Hosoi Mura, almost all products were rezzed, Next to the Market all my buildings were also on display in 3 scenery sims. When I decide to rebuild the scenery sims I will put all on display again;-)

Kind regards,

Ami
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hello Amiryu

Something to consider if you are concerned.

You can build your region offline with something like sim-on-a-stick. Then when you are done you can take an OAR, then you can upload that OAR of your finished region to any grid that allows OAR uploads. Plus, you have the OAR forever!

This is the approach I am taking with my store/RP regions and I find it a very comfortable way of working.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Building off line seems most sensible.
Setting up an OpenSim for your own use is not difficult and the method of creating the OAR file and loading to Kitely is now well documented.
So the risk seems to be only in the time spent on it, which depends whether you have the time, and if it's something you want to do anyway.
Then when you do load it, the cost of a Kitely megaregion is very low.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

I am not sure if ppl would visit or join
I'm not really a role playing person, but I did briefly see those sims in SL before they went. I was very impressed and would certainly visit, and encourage others to do so. It would be wonderful to see them on line somewhere, and Kitely is the obvious place to do it.
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Ozwell, Keith,

I already design on my local OS server and imported my design for a real life project into KL. So, I know how it works, my concern is getting people into my scenery and in KL. I had a huge community in my sims and they are all homeless now. I just hope I can lure them in KL and provide a new home for themm all. Although I realy like building sceneries and atmosphere I am not sure if I will rebuild just for the fun of it. As you said, there is a lot of time involved. The SL build took me more then a year...

Kind regards,

Ami