Community Groups?

Other communities that use virtual worlds
Roswenthe Blackwell

Community Groups?

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Are there any larger community groups with an in-world chat group? I just kinda want to get to know some people, and it's easier with a group when everyone is so spread out.
oopsee joseppe

Re: Community Groups?

Post by oopsee joseppe »

Hi Roswenthe, I did a search in the group tab for "Kitely" to find community groups when I started in Kitely and there are several to choose from. Once in awhile I see someone chat in those groups and found several people responded at the same time :D
Also the kitely web page can be used to find others - if you log in there is a pull down menu and you will find "public worlds" - this will list worlds first that have someone at that place so it can be a good way to find others - and you have found a lively Kitely community group here in the forums where you can get expert answers to just about anything :D If you like feel free to send me a message inworld anytime and if I am not around at the time I will answer later ( i am around often inworld) -
We could really use people who are frequent users of Kitely to be how to say...friendly to contact...for people looking to find a live chat. Maybe a board or something showing online status and available to contact? I do understand the best is for mentors who have more information or understand the intricacies of Kitely to be the ones to help new people however sometimes it is just nice to have anyone available for a live chat and possibly answer some general questions, give landmarks, links to Kitely pages on the web or such or just chat as it goes ....
These users thanked the author oopsee joseppe for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Roswenthe,

As there are more worlds in Kitely than active users and most people spend their time in private worlds, the best way to start meeting people is either using the forums, by attending the weekly Kitely Community Meetings (held in http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ila ... ome-Center) or by visiting the first worlds that are currently displayed in the Public Worlds page. After you've already connected to people group chat can come in handy as well.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

The Kitely Community group is one you can join from the Kitely Welcome Center info area. It currently has 113 members. Ilan is the "owner" of the group.

I've just tested group chat with it, and it works -- several people responded, and we had a bit of a chitchat.

Group URI: e4940e31-13b3-4bb8-813c-a12f172f9433

Group Name: Kitely Community
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Selby Evansoopsee joseppeHandy LowMin Tigerpaw
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

There is a "Meet & Chat" group created by Isis Ophelia, URL: 79cfb432-e4ce-4d29-b1fd-e3fd57cd048f
it currently has 15 members.
In order to get resonable responses to a group-call however we need larger numbers of members simultaneously in world.
Total growth of active users is required to give such communities life.
Even for the Kitely Community group you scarcely see more than 2 or 3 on at a given time (unless it's mMentors-eeting time).
Chav Paderborn

Post by Chav Paderborn »

I was going to join but I already had.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Something we might consider doing each time we first log in is to say "Hi" via whichever community group chat channel we eventually settle on, even if there are only one or two others online at the same time. These things build momentum.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Ilan Tochneroopsee joseppeSelby EvansSherrie Melody
Roswenthe Blackwell

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Ilan Tochner wrote: As there are more worlds in Kitely than active users and most people spend their time in private worlds, the best way to start meeting people is either using the forums, by attending the weekly Kitely Community Meetings (held in http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ila ... ome-Center) or by visiting the first worlds that are currently displayed in the Public Worlds page. After you've already connected to people group chat can come in handy as well.
I have been visiting worlds, but a lot of times they are empty by the time I get there, or the person is up on a platform and is probably busy. I will try to attend the meetings.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Ah, yes, apologies Rosewenthe. When you came into Quayside last week, I was testing aircraft with two alts. I was a bit busy with 3 viewers and Fraps, and I didn't know anyone had been there until I checked the history.
I did wonder what anyone would have made of it, three green blobs on the map moving around rather quickly and no-one on the ground. But it was just I, myself and me.

Whereas Chav came in earlier that day, and found me standing on a broken airplane puzzling over the script.
I just vaguely thought I saw an IM pop up alongside the script window, and sure enough there was someone there.

It surprised me a bit, with two avatars there for about an hour, no-one else dropped in.

I expect timezones have something to do with this, as well as the distributed nature of Kitely worlds.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post:
oopsee joseppe