Village community: concept discussion

Other communities that use virtual worlds
Dot Matrix

Re: Village community: concept discussion

Post by Dot Matrix »

Ah, but 3x3 into 2x2 doesn't quite go ;)

I needed to to tweak the layout a bit, so took the raws of the four corners of the 3x3 and placed them at the corners of the 2x2. It's all very early stage stuff. No prims to be seen yet!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I assumed you intended to take the south west corner 2x2. :-)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

It's useful to know that you can use the 3x3 OAR to make a 2x2 region -- thanks!
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Hi Dot,

following this thread with interest. the idea sounds wonderful.

i don't know what i can contribute but i'm interested in helping if i can. RL is about to be a bit rocky for a couple months but when things calm down, i'll be there. right now watching, listening and cheering this discussion on.
Ralph Doctorow
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ralph Doctorow »

Not the most useful post, but you might consider "Over Beithe" rather than "Upper Beithe", vis: http://www.thewallops.net/
Elijah Starfish

Post by Elijah Starfish »

Is there something to keeping the SW corner or is it an insider joke?

ES
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

The southwest region is the "root" or "home" region in an OpenSim megaregion. All addresses in a megaregion start at 0,0 in the Southwest corner of Southwest-most region. More to the point, if you apply an OAR to a megaregion that is not the same size, the OAR is applied to the Southwest corner of the megaregion.

For instance, when I created my current main world, Donnybrook Beach, I used a 1-region OAR with a boardwalk/pier build on half the region as the starting point. When I applied it to the 4-region world the OAR content went on the Southwest region of my world, and the other 3 regions were flat green regions.

Supposedly it works the same way when the OAR is larger than the world. For instance with a 9-region (3x3) OAR being applied to a 4 region (2x2) world, the content from the 4 regions in the Southwest "corner" of the OAR would be applied to the new world.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Elijah Starfish

Post by Elijah Starfish »

Thank You Deuce :)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Ralph Doctorow wrote:Not the most useful post, but you might consider "Over Beithe" rather than "Upper Beithe", vis: http://www.thewallops.net/
Ah, but where I come from there are places called Upper Broughton and the like, hence the initial names. Worth pondering though :)

From your link, "Old Beithe" and "New Beithe" might be other possibilities. Perhaps "Beithe Fishing Village" could transmute to "Old Beithe".

One further development to report: Danko emailed me to ask if this was a replacement for the Devokan village that was discussed in the last Storytellers Gathering. Originally I had thought it might be, but having properly thought through what Kitely enables and gone for Gold, I realised both might be possible.

So the islands of Touchstone and Skysong in the world of Devokan are currently under redevelopment. Please excuse the mess as we experiment with terraforming, buildings and nice new trees.

This will mean that Beithe could be free of storybuilding aspects, which I realise some were uneasy with.

And to go back to the original topic of this post, if one of the areas became New Beithe, that might accommodate modern-style architecture among the trees...
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Ralph Doctorow wrote:Not the most useful post, but you might consider "Over Beithe" rather than "Upper Beithe", vis: http://www.thewallops.net/
Ah, but where I come from there are places called Upper Broughton and the like, hence the initial names. Worth pondering though :)

From your link, "Old Beithe" and "New Beithe" might be other possibilities. Perhaps "Beithe Fishing Village" could transmute to "Old Beithe".
FYI, I'm fairly certain that Ralph was going for a joke there: Over Beithe = Overbite
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782