Village community: concept discussion

Other communities that use virtual worlds
Dot Matrix

Re: Village community: concept discussion

Post by Dot Matrix »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:Hmm, well, that takes my idea out the window then :).
No, not really. It would still be possible in an alternative form.

For example, what could be done is to have an unmetered main community world (2x2, 3x3 or 4x4), then have linked subsidiary, themed standalones, set up so that members of the community could go to them as and when they please.

The standalones might be metered or unmetered, part of someone's region allowance or sponsored by the whole group.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Deuce HalseyOzwell Wayfarer
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

If you're going with an Advanced World anyway, you might consider making it 4x4, even if you don't need all those regions for development.
You could always used the extra regions as water/landscaping, while leaving the option to move things around later if desired. Alternatively
the extra land could give you the option to spread things out a bit more. Not all towns grow up, some of them spread out. A 4x4 world would
give you this option if desired.

I wouldn't imagine that 16 more lightly-developed regions would load any slower than 9 more densely developed regions. Someone please
correct me if I'm wrong about that. My personal experience is limited to single regions and 2x2 worlds.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Dot Matrix wrote:Speaking from experience, when thinking in terms of size vs. performance,
uh, wait!! wuts dot talkin' 'bout now???????????????????
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Barnard Smith
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Since it is on the previous page, just in case ...
Dot Matrix wrote:Speaking from experience, when thinking in terms of size vs. performance, I've found 2x2 megaregions to be the optimum for worlds of a Devokan-type complexity.
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Dot Matrix wrote: For example, what could be done is to have an unmetered main community world (2x2, 3x3 or 4x4), then have linked subsidiary, themed standalones, set up so that members of the community could go to them as and when they please.

The standalones might be metered or unmetered
My long term plans for Donnybrook Beach include something like this. The idea is that Donnybrook Beach is actually part of a chain of barrier islands just off the Maryland coast. Each of these islands has its own oceanfront resort - the resort sizes vary with the sizes of the island in question. (This mirrors reality. A large percentage of the Atlantic oceanfront resorts from New Jersey all the way down to at least the Carolinas are in fact located on barrier islands.) These barrier islands are typically connected to each other by a series of bridges and causeways.

Eventually I may develop some of the other islands. These islands would start out as metered worlds and I'd just pay the KC for anyone who visits them.

Right now all that exists are the bridges - although not really. The concept I've come up with is that certain waterways adjacent to Donnybrook Beach are very susceptible to heavy fog. The affected areas just happen to coincide with the locations of the bridges to the neighboring islands. So the "bridges" in world consist of small stretches of highway pavement that just run off the end of the world. I parked a truck on the outbound lane of each bridge - the truck is used to hide the fog generators that create the illusion of a fog bank headed out over the water. Of course the fog also covers the truck land the land immediately surrounding the bridge ramp. A "Fog Area" highway sign just before the fog bank begins completes the illusion.

Is it really foggy there 24/7? Of course not, that would be ridiculous! It just happens to be foggy whenever you happen to visit Donnybrook Beach. ;)

Of course any neighboring island worlds, when developed, would also have the fog bank bridge setup at their end of things. Once there actually are multiple island worlds, I might even try to put a teleport in the truck or Fog Area sign that would take the visitor to the neighboring island world. Such a neighboring world would of course have a similar fog bridge teleport back to Donnybrook Beach.

This fog bridge concept is not the only or best way to hide/represent bridges to neighboring island worlds, but I just threw it out here in the hope that it might stir up some ideas on how to link "adjacent" worlds without using the standard Teleport sign setup.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Dot Matrix
Deuce Halsey
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I love the foggy bridges concept -- what a clever idea!

Another idea might be to go through a tunnel or a cave, with a collision TP linking you to the next island in the chain.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Deuce Halsey
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

I thought about a tunnel entrance, but the foggy bridge idea is easier - not to mention funnier. I plan to eventually put a motel, restaurant or some kind of business called "Bridgeview xxxxx" right next to one of the bridges, the joke of course being that you can never actually see the bridge.

The foggy bridges are already in place in Donnybrook Beach. They are at the north and south ends of the main road across the island, which is located east of the world arrival point. The fog generators start on region startup, but it takes a few minutes for them to generate a respectable fog bank. So if the world started when you teleported in and you rush right over there fog will look kind of anemic.
Deuce Halsey