serious permissions problem

General discussions related to content creation
Serendipity Seraph

serious permissions problem

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

I finally got all animations for a sex bed properly installed and aligned. I was smart and used a prim to hold the animations and made it the root prim of any furniture I may want them in. However, that prim has now decided it cannot be copied. I unlinked it from the bed and made sure its permissions allow copy and I am definitely the owner and it still insists that I cannot take a copy, that I don't hold permissions. This is a seriously bummer bug as I would like to use it in a few places. The other thing that is weird and that I mentioned a bit last night is that I can no longer see its contents. loading contents just stays there forever without showing contents. Which makes it sort of hard to hand tweak its scripts and data notecards to say the least.

This is a rather nasty malf for buiding, scripting and animating. How can I recover short of creating a new prim and reloading and setting everything. Thankfully I at least have a dump of the last anim positions relative to the prim.
Serendipity Seraph

Re: serious permissions problem

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

I took it to inventory and brought it back and can now see contents. Permission system seems wacky. I cannot take a copy but I can take it to inventory, rezz it, and take it again which in fact gives me a second copy in inventory. Does this make sense to anyone?
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

You've probably tried this already, but have you tried using the Permissions button in Content, choosing All then selecting the permissions you want and then hitting Apply? Sometimes this helps if a script or stray prim has different permissions than the root prim.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

The permissions system is complicated indeed, and there are likely to be bugs in it as well. But in this case it might not actually be a bug, but rather a "feature". A prim's permissions derive from two things: the permissions of the prim itself, and the permissions of the items in the prim (what's called the "folded permissions"). If the prim contains even a single item with lower permissions than you expect then this may prevent the prim from being copied. I think there's also a combination of permissions that will prevent you from seeing the object's contents, although I don't know how to recreate that situation. (Does anyone else reading this know?)

I assume you have in your inventory all the items that you had put in the prim? If so, then wouldn't it be a simple matter to create a new prim and copy the items into it? The positions are set by notecards, if I understand correctly, so copying the notecards into the new prim should restore the positions.

Please try this with only a few items at first, to save time. Create a prim; put the items into it; take into inventory and back; etc. The act of taking an object into the inventory and then rezzing it is very significant in OpenSim, as its makes it recalculate the folded permissions.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Hi, not sure if this will be helpful...but...while I continue to try to wake up......

You could, for example, build in your own soas, and if there are perms issues there also, you can god-mode it and force perms, either via admin tools or the console.

Then create an oar with the item and upload it into kitely...since kitely is now on 76 as soas is, this could be useful.

Also, this may be basic building 101, and known, so feel free to disregard [and I don't consider myself to be a builder] but some scripts do continue to work when deleted, such as rotation scripts .

So a scrubber may be helpful...dunno

btw, Merry Christmas-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Hi Serendipity,
Permission system seems wacky. I cannot take a copy but I can take it to inventory, rezz it, and take it again which in fact gives me a second copy in inventory. Does this make sense to anyone?
Make sense? Well, I won't go that far but I have had the same thing happen many, many times over the years - including just this week in Second Life with the official SL Viewer - to the point that I don't even believe it when items say No Copy anymore. Usually if it says that, it's true but not necessarily. I don't think you can transfer an item that acts that way but you can make copies for yourself.

It's akin to items that say No Mod but allow you to mod it anyway, as long as you rez it first.

Hi Oren,
The act of taking an object into the inventory and then rezzing it is very significant in OpenSim, as its makes it recalculate the folded permissions.
Thanks for that info.