Second Inventory/Stored Inventory

General discussions related to content creation
Ilan Tochner

Re: Second Inventory/Stored Inventory

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I second what Deuce said,

If you have content you can legally export from Second Life then do so ASAP and get it into Kitely without delay, rezz it in a world and Export World to get an OAR file backup of that content. That way your backup won't be dependent on Second Life, Second Inventory, Kitely, or any other organization - you'll be the one holding the keys to your content.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Dundridge DreadlowConstance PeregrineDeuce HalseyKayaker MagicSelby Evans
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

just to let you know...

it is significantly easier to maintain a server, than to update and maintain complex code for a program :)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Deuce Halsey
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

...oh, and what Ilan said :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Ilan Tochner wrote:If you have content you can legally export from Second Life then do so ASAP and get it into Kitely without delay, rezz it in a world and Export World to get an OAR file backup of that content. That way your backup won't be dependent on Second Life, Second Inventory, Kitely, or any other organization - you'll be the one holding the keys to your content.
Second Inventory in itself has always been a terrible idea for backup, even when it was the only legal option. Sure, it backs up your data to your hard drive, but in an encrypted and proprietary form. The strength of SI was in its powerful and robust import/export.

One of the main reasons why I got into OpenSim in the first place, back in 2008, was so that I could copy my creations (using SI) into a self-hosted OpenSim region and back up that region's data (and, later, the users' inventories as IAR files). And once I had that in place, it made sense to build new stuff in OpenSim and copy the finished items over to SL.
Handy Low
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Minethere Always wrote:Then you can email via the contact info and maybe they will respond.
Ha! HA! They haven't responded to emails in years. Never once to me since I bought a copy almost 2 years ago.
Except when they responded by rebooting the server because Oren wrote them, he must have golden email headers.
It is one step away from abandonware.

I have been trying to use it lately. Sometimes it succeeds spectacularly, transferring a build that has a dozen textures and sculpts and 1000 lines of script, and it just WORKS. (Well, it was a script written for OpenSim). But most of the time it transfers half of the prims and then gets some arcane error message like "unable to move object to inventory". Sometimes it moves enough of the parts that I can re-assemble the build from the pieces. Most of the time it does not. I'm not sure if it is worth my time to keep trying. I'm definitely sure that it was a complete waste of 29 euros.

One thing I have noticed, if you are restoring an object that has scripts that generate syntax errors on OpenSim (like you used 'touch' as a variable name and it turns out to be a reserved word in an OpenSim script, or you violated the scoping rules of OpenSim), if your script does not compile, SI refuses to load the rest of the build and put it together to give you a chance to fix the syntax error.

Here's another thing I haven't heard anyone mention: Obviously SI cannot work while you are in the transfer station. You have to wait until your world is loaded before starting a restore. Duh, but at first I didn't learn enough about navigating SI's user interface to find out where I was, and when I made it where I was headed.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

It is one step away from abandonware
I so agree with that. They don't answer in their Forum nor to direct Notecards sent to their Support people in SL. But when I have had problems installing it after reformating my PC, I used their Contact form on their webpage and they answered. Halleluya! lol
The problem it's that we do not have an alternative to Second Inventory. I Twitted and posted in Facebook asking if someone would be interested to create a similar tool, but I never got a reaction.

Because I am afraid that one day I could not be able to connect SI to their server, I have started to restore the tons of items I have backed up with SI to a clean Standalone region in my PC. It is tedius to sort everything in folders, but one day I will be hopefully finished (haha) and then I will export my whole Inventory as an IAR and save it to my PC. In a 2nd step I plan to save smaller IARs containing Categories. This way I will be able to restore my stuff anytime. Unfortunately I have not seen anywhere that a grid would allow to import IARs. But maybe in the future Kitely will make it possible for us :)
then gets some arcane error message like "unable to move object to inventory"
Don't worry about this error. It is that SI creates an extra file called something like: extra properties (or similar) SI creates such file when there are scripts inside the object. This error message had no affect to my uploaded items.

I must say I have really good restores since Kitely fixed the problems SI was having with not recognizing the parents of clothing layers. Thank you Oren & Ilan :)
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You're welcome Isis :-)

While we don't enable uploading IAR files yet, you can import that content into Kitely by first rezzing it in a region in your standalone, saving that region to an OAR file then importing that OAR file into a Kitely world.

When saving the OAR file, I recommend using the OAR --publish option in order to remove the owner and previous owner information so that your Kitely avatar will be listed as the owner when you import the items.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

What is the OAR --publish option and how do we do that?

Ada
Ilan Tochner wrote:You're welcome Isis :-)

While we don't enable uploading IAR files yet, you can import that content into Kitely by first rezzing it in a region in your standalone, saving that region to an OAR file then importing that OAR file into a Kitely world.

When saving the OAR file, I recommend using the OAR --publish option in order to remove the owner and previous owner information so that your Kitely avatar will be listed as the owner when you import the items.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Thank you! But Ack. Way too technical; I'll have to get a lot of help the next time I need this.
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Ada,

Please see: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives