Second Inventory/Stored Inventory

General discussions related to content creation
Barnard Smith

Second Inventory/Stored Inventory

Post by Barnard Smith »

Hey Kitely:)

This question really isn't Kitely related except in relation of porting to it.

But..

Does anyone know why the Second Inventory/Stored Inventory Viewer doesn't function and errors out with a time out, and why all the support and web sites for it are gone?? I was going to move more of my stuff today into Kitely, but I cant get it to work. Thanks
Sherrie Melody

Re: Second Inventory/Stored Inventory

Post by Sherrie Melody »

I've never used SI, but unfortunately, I think whoever created SI stopped development on it a few years ago. I'm not surprised that it has become buggy. I'm sorry you are experiencing the problems. :(

There are viewers, like Firestorm, Imprudence, CoolVL, and probably others, that include import/export features that allow you to export objects that you have created. Everything in the object must have you as the creator.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Hey Sherrie,

No its been a good product for years, and served me well in my move to Kitely. It just suddenly stopped working without warning and the web sites aren't there either anymore. I just don't know why is all, and I don't know if I need to start looking for another program.

I hold many import and sell licenses from merchants, so Firestorm is useless in this regard on sculpt maps and the like. I'm still working on my world and I need to continue importing what I have built and what I have rights to. Second Inventory has been a great help in the move, I just don't know if its dead or not yet, and if so what else is out there to use that does a similar job and in a similar way. Thanks
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Barnard,

Have you checked whether it works from a different computer and/or at a different time?
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Hey Ilan,

Thanks of your response, no I haven't checked, but for what you suggested to possibly work, wouldn't the web sites for the company be running on this machine?? All service, support, and home pages for the company are gone to. I have a lap top and it would be a pain to load it, but after you check out the sites for the company and still think I should try I will. While I wait on you I will try a reboot, who knows huh I'll give it a shot. I've made no major changes in this machine and its fairly new. Thanks
These users thanked the author Barnard Smith for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

It's possible that Second Inventory does license checks against their servers. If those servers are down then waiting for them to come up again may help the program to work. If that is indeed the cause of the problems you're encountering then installing Second Inventory on another computer won't help.

I suggest waiting a couple of days and seeing if their site comes back up. If it doesn't it may be time to seek out alternatives.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Nope still doesn't run:( The Company web sites, the program, and the service has been dead all day. I cant find any information on the net that tells me what is going on with the company. I don't know what to use if the Company has failed, I've looked into Firestorm and Imprudence, and they are okay but they don't import fully what I have rights to import through license. They don't import sculpt maps, textures, and other files which I have paid for the right to import and sell if desired. I don't know of another program that does what SI does, and it will be a real bummer if I lose its ability's
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I don't think there is any legal program that lets you export content which you didn't create from Second Life. Is it possible for you to contact the relevant merchants and request that they upload their content into Kitely then give you a copy? Given the recent Second Life TOS changes, it may be worth their while to do so. See: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... ion-front/
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

It's possible that Second Inventory does license checks against their servers.
That is what it seems to be doing on start up.
suggest waiting a couple of days
sounds sensible
the error returned from all their links is "DNS service for this domain has expired with DNS Made Easy" so maybe they have gone altogether, or maybe they've had an admin failure and will appear again when they've paid the bill or sent in the renewal application or whatever.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

did you do a whois to see if the domain is still current?

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...