Difference between "in-world" and" Kitely Market" perms

General discussions related to content creation
Ozwell Wayfarer

Difference between "in-world" and" Kitely Market" perms

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

This has come up three times with different customers since I started selling in Kitely, and although I was made aware of this, it seems nobody else is aware. This is VERY important for merchants.

Basically, if you sell an item in-world as Copy/Mod/Transfer, it will be exportable by default. If you sell the same item as Copy/Mod/Transfer via the marketplace, it WONT be exportable (you have to tick the 4th perm box).

So far for me, this has just confused customers I have sent things to in-world. I can however imagine a scenario where someone is selling "Full Perm" items (i.e for resale within Kitely only) in-world who then finds to their horror that people can export their stuff.
Last edited by Ozwell Wayfarer on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Difference between in-world and Marketplace perms

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ozwell,

The Export control system is part of Kitely Market and only applies to items that were bought from Kitely Market. Merchants selling items inworld, which they don't intend to be exportable from Kitely, should never sell them with both Copy and Transfer permissions.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Yes I agree, but what I am saying is that this is not very clear and certainly not intuitive. One would not expect things to work this way coming from SL for instance. I was not aware until I approached you directly about it and chances are I would not have asked had it not been for the unique situation of wanting to give someone a freebie which was also exportable.

Since I asked you, the question has come up twice again. So it seems there is a general ignorance to the effect of making something C/M/T. I certainly assumed that C/M/T perms within Kitely = not exportable until I was told otherwise, and I think most others would assume the same.

In both the following instances, I have sent items in-world as updates or replacements, and both times the customers have come back basically saying "yeah thanks......but this is just C/M/T, I need export". Both cases I simply said "Just try it" and obviously it worked.

As much as anything this post is intended as useful information for merchants that I cant locate anywhere else at present. If you know beforehand its not a problem, but I get the feeling I am a minority of one (two if we include you Ilan).
Ozwell Wayfarer

Would it maybe be prudent to make a dissmissable pop-up the first time a user checks the "Trans" perm inworld making them aware the item will become exportable? Just as a "cover your ass" kind of move?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ozwell,

Doing so would create overhead for every object edit operation the user does (not just the first one).

I know it's a radical idea, but people selling content may want to actually read our terms of service before checking the checkbox where they indicate that they agree to them - all of this (and more) is covered in that agreement. :-)
Ozwell Wayfarer

As I have yet to meet any person anywhere, ever to have fully read a TOS before they had a specific issue with it, I reject your proposal as simply too radical. In fact, it boarders on sheer madness. :D

Seriously though, that's not the place I would really expect to find an explanation of such things. You do have an explanation of the Export perm in "Documentation" under "marketplace", but this little intricacy is not mentioned anywhere there, where one might expect it to be and where both my puzzled customers looked before consulting again with me.

In fact, I would even go as far as to say the line "Items without the Export permission can't leave the Kitely grid." is actually a bit misleading as inworld items without the export perm can in point-of-fact leave the Kitely grid. It is a pretty huge caveat and I think it would be appropriate to mention it there. Call me radical ;) .
Ozwell Wayfarer

Actually, I already envisage you coming back and saying its not appropriate to mention it there because that page specifically references the MP, which is a fair point. Either way all I am saying is confusion has arisen and will possibly continue to arise over this point, especially now opemsim in general supports the export perm. I just think it should be made clearer somehow.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

It sounds like part of this is to do with documentation and where things are explained. Hint hint.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:As I have yet to meet any person anywhere, ever to have fully read a TOS before they had a specific issue with it, I reject your proposal as simply too radical. In fact, it borders on sheer madness. :D
makes me go all..........................

Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Does this apply to items that are sold as C/T (ie with no modify perms)?
Handy Low