Thoughts on saving your build in computer

General discussions related to content creation
Lily Annabella
Has thanked: 0

Thoughts on saving your build in computer

Post by Lily Annabella »

Im still newish to building and it takes me forever to get a build just right.Im trying to learn how to export and save things ive made but confused about the best way to do this and be sure it can be uploaded later,maybe even on another grid.I do not plan on going to another grid but ya just never know what the future holds,i know things happen,grids close ect. Im kind of tired of starting from scratch,so would like to save some of these things and know i have them forever and can use them anywhere.Ive seen you can save "objects" of "xml" and i think a few more ways. Ive read "xml" puts strain on your server,any truth to that? Ive used that a few times now and it cool to watch,lol Any thoughts from someone who does this would sure be helpful. :)
Ilan Tochner

Re: Thoughts on saving your build in computer

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Lily,

The recommended option is to rezz object inside your world and use the Export World function to create a backup of your world. That way you'll get an OAR file that contains the objects you created. You can then upload that OAR file into another grid.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Carlos LoffSelby Evans
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Hi Lily

What I'm doing is using one of my included Premium Worlds (set to "private" group access only) as a sort of storeroom, rezzing items from my inventory on sky platforms organised by type. Then I periodically save OARs, which I date within the file name, and include a saved and dated html file of the accompanying report -- the report highlights where there might be issues with permissions, which can be handy.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Selby Evans
Lily Annabella
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lily Annabella »

Thanks for the idea,i have played with the oar a few times,its pretty neat too! I guess i will go with that idea and update it from time to time.