Selecting and retrieving video URLs in-world

General discussions related to content creation
Min Tigerpaw

Selecting and retrieving video URLs in-world

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Hi folks,
currently I'm working on a universal video-player for Kitely / OpenSim - it works fine so far..... however there is one issue I'm struggling with:
How to navigate to a video e.g. from YouTube reliably so that the script can read-out the correct URL? :?
Doing that in the browser doesn't allow to import the URL by the script (of cause I can copy paste ..but that is not very user-friendly).
Doing it by media on a prim:
The PRIM_MEDIS_CURRENT_URL parameter in llGetPrimMediaParams allows to capture the URL form the face of a prim with activated media - that works.
Well fine I thought ..but: :!:
The URL of the prim, when navigated to a video often doesn't update (even while the video showing). I observed this in OpenSim as well as in SL.
At least with my viewer-setup (Firetorm) it only arbitrarily and unpredictably updates the URL in the command-line and thus the captured URL by the script is not the updated one! :evil:
Does anyone have a clue why this is and how I can achieve a reliable URL-update for the displayed web-page without copying it from a browser? :?:
Selby Evans

Re: Selecting and retrieving video URLs in-world

Post by Selby Evans »

What I have done when I wanted to play video from the web and show only the video screen:
1. Embed the video on my blog in a standard location.
2. Post the article and make a Browser on Prim of it.
3. Use the texture tab in the object edit menu to adjust the display so that only the video shows.

The standard location means that I can reuse the prim for other videos, with minor adjustments if the size of the video is different.
Min Tigerpaw

Re: Selecting and retrieving video URLs in-world

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Thank you for your comment Selby -
unfortunately this wil not help really for my project, as my video-player is designed to play a large number of different videos from variing sources and with variing sizes from playlists stored to notecards. I can manage all this well but would like to give the user the comfort to navigate to the video he/she wants to add e.g. in YouTube on an help-screen and let the script copy & store the URL to the player's videodata-list instead of using a separate browser and copy paste the URL.