Tutorial Series: Textures - Quick & Dirty Texture Recolors

General discussions related to content creation
Ozwell Wayfarer

Tutorial Series: Textures - Quick & Dirty Texture Recolors

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

I decided to write this tutorial because I always struggle to know which texture tints to include in a package. Some people prefer bright and saturated while others like dark and moody. Some like this green, others that green...... So from now on many of my plants and houses will also contain full perm textures so you can re-colour them yourself using this tutorial!

Many people are surprised how easy this is if you have some textures ready to use.

I recommend using Paint.net, which can be downloaded here:
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

I recommend this program for a number of reasons. The main one being that paint.net remembers settings you dial in so you can quickly apply them to other images. You will see why this is useful later. Its also less cluttered than GIMP, and also free.

Ok, so here we have some grass. We can do a number of things with it by going to the adjustments tab. Today we will look at hue and saturation.

So as you can see here we can amp up the saturation to make the texture more vibrant

Or move it more towards the green spectrum

Or more towards the red for an autumnal feel

Or off into another spectrum all together!

So here I have decided to add a little more saturation, and movemore into the green spectrum to give the grass a fresher feel.

So now if you have multiple textures you want to apply this tint to, just open them

and navigate back to hue and saturation and PAINT will remember your last slider settings. Gimp does not do this.

You can do this with all textures you have full perm access to, and its lots of fun experimenting. Now you can have your textures JUST how you want them. Often things are too bright, to dark or have the wrong hue, now you know how you can fix that.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 4):
Dot MatrixGraham MillsMarstol NitelyPraline B