Export Permissions

General discussions related to content creation
Ilan Tochner

Re: Export Permissions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

When objects are placed inside each other they create what is called a folded permission, where the containing object's actual permissions are limited by the permissions of what they contain. So, for example, if you place a no-Copy item inside a Copy box the box's folded permissions become no-Copy. This is designed (not by us) to prevent bypassing the contained object's permissions by placing them inside other objects.

Similar logic exists for a linkset, where a single no-Copy object in a linkset may turn the entire linkset no-Copy.

The Export World Report can come in handy to determine what component is preventing exportability. To use it, rezz the object and Export World then read the Export World Report to find what is preventing the export.

If you find a specific case that is unexplained by the Export World Report then please send me information about it, it's name and location (coordinates) in your world and we'll see if we can find why it is becoming unexportable.

If you can't Export World then try creating a simple example that demonstrates this problem, then take it into your inventory and let me know its name and the folder path in your inventory where we can view it.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Hi Tess,

When objects are placed inside each other they create what is called a folded permission, where the containing object's actual permissions are limited by the permissions of what they contain. So, for example, if you place a no-Copy item inside a Copy box the box's folded permissions become no-Copy. This is designed (not by us) to prevent bypassing the contained object's permissions by placing them inside other objects.
I know all of that, Ilan.

What I am talking about are boxes and linksets where every single prim, every single mesh, every single texture and every single everything else are my original creations and set properly to full perm. I've checked, rechecked and checked again. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the permissions I've set these items too yet as often as not, they turn out to not eb exportable.

Edit: I figured out one of the boxes. In that particular case it turned out there was a non-original texture I had overlooked. But that was a texture from the opensim library. There isn't supposed to be any export restrictions on them, is it?
This is not the whole explanation anyway. For a start there's still this curious case where a linkset couldn't be exported even though every single part of it could before I linked them.
Last edited by Tess Juel on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please send me (my avatar "Ilan Tochner" in Kitely) a simple example of two objects that you've combined in this way (linked and/or placed inside each other) that have turned unexportable but are exportable when disconnected from each other. If there is a real problem then we need to see it in order to be able to investigate it.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm
Please send me (my avatar "Ilan Tochner" in Kitely) a simple example of two objects that you've combined in this way (linked and/or placed inside each other) that have turned unexportable but are exportable when disconnected from each other.
Done!

Come to think of it, these are all fairly big sets with more than 50 items linked and/or boxed. Maybe the explanation is simply that the sevrer times out while checking all the perms? If that si the case, it should be fairly easy to fix.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

I have investigated the item that you sent us, called "OPQ Bamboo 01 linked (CMT)". I have found that the Export logic works as intended. Here's the explanation:

This item has permissions CMT (in your inventory). The prims inside it have permissions CMT for the current owner, but only CM for the Next Owner.

Kitely allows you to place this item in your Suitcase and travel to other grids. That's because the item itself has permissions CMT, and the prims inside it also have permissions CMT, for you only (because you're their owner).

However, when you try to give this item to a user from another grid, you are told that the item isn't exportable. That's because once the item changes ownership the Next Owner permissions get activated, so the prims get permissions of CM, which do not allow export (they're missing permission T).

In order to make an item Exportable by other users, the Next Owner permissions have to include CT.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 am
However, when you try to give this item to a user from another grid, you are told that the item isn't exportable. That's because once the item changes ownership the Next Owner permissions get activated, so the prims get permissions of CM, which do not allow export (they're missing permission T).
The question then is how did this happen? Those meshes were all uploaded as CMT, when rezzed they show up with the T checkbox checked and although they may have been changed to CM and back to CMT at some point (I can't remember for sure, some of them are fairly old) all permission changes have been done on rezzed copies, I know better than to change perms in inventory.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

The question is whether you've ensured they have Next Owner Copy+Transfer. If it's in a linkset then even a single component of that linkset missing the Next Owner Transfer permission would result in the entire linkset not having the permission.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:02 am
Hi Tess,

The question is whether you've ensured they have Next Owner Copy+Transfer. If it's in a linkset then even a single component of that linkset missing the Next Owner Transfer permission would result in the entire linkset not having the permission.
This is getting a bit confusing. I assumed permission settings on opensim worked pretty much the same way as in Second Life? I SL it simply isn't possible for prims int eh same linset to have different perms.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Tess Juel wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:03 pm
This is getting a bit confusing. I assumed permission settings on opensim worked pretty much the same way as in Second Life? I SL it simply isn't possible for prims int eh same linset to have different perms.
That's right, a linkset has only a single set of perms.

When I looked at your objects, both in-world and in your inventory, the prims definitely had only CM permissions for Next Owner. I guess you're wondering how that happened? I'm afraid I can't answer that, since I can't view the changes that had been made to the objects over time; I can only see what they are like now. It's possible that you made that change at some point (even by mistake), and it's also possible that there's a bug. But I tried to cause this problem to happen while I was investigating this issue, and I couldn't. Objects that I had set to CMT remained CMT, and objects that I had set to CM remained CM. The closest thing I found to reproducing this problem happened when I had a CMT object, and I linked a CM prim into it, since that changes the entire linkset to CM. But as you mentioned above, that's the expected outcome.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:04 pm
It's possible that you made that change at some point (even by mistake), and it's also possible that there's a bug. But I tried to cause this problem to happen while I was investigating this issue, and I couldn't.
I can't imagine what changes I could have done that could cause such an odd behaviour.

However, it might be worth mentioning that all the work on these meshes was done before the 0.9 upgrade. Maybe that's why you can't reproduce it now? If so, this shouldn't be a problem in the future but there may be more pre-upgrade content that needs to be fixed.