How to Build a Door

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Snoots Dwagon

How to Build a Door

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Here is an article on How to Build a Virtual Door. This article is the result of thousands of hours of builder expertise.

http://elfclan.spruz.com/pt/Making-a-Do ... s/blog.htm
Last edited by Snoots Dwagon on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerIain McCrackenTess JuelDee Ferry 2
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Iain McCracken

Re: Hoiw to Build a Door

Post by Iain McCracken »

Suddenly realize everything in your build came unlinked all at once.
My favorite part of the article. :D
These users thanked the author Iain McCracken for the post (total 2):
Snoots DwagonDee Ferry 2
Zaida Thibodaux
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to Build a Door

Post by Zaida Thibodaux »

Okay seriously though are there any good menu driven door scripts in Kitely? I'm too stupid to mod scripts, so I need something fairly idiot proof. I personally begged the maker of my favorite door script in SL to sell in Kitely and he said no. :(
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zaida,

Have you looked in Kitely Market? For example: https://www.kitely.com/market?cat=51700&q=door+script
Zaida Thibodaux
Has thanked: 0

Post by Zaida Thibodaux »

Yes, but none of those is what I'm looking for. I'm spoiled to a menu driven system that can be center hinge, edge, hinge, or you can manually fix it yourself just how the door swings, and you can even use it to open and close drawers if you want - all with a menu making it easy.
These users thanked the author Zaida Thibodaux for the post:
Cooter Coorara
Michael Timeless

Post by Michael Timeless »

OMG, just scared the cat I was laughing so hard. I think I've done all those things and one you didn't mention, having he door stand still and the house swing 90 degrees....

Thanks for the best laugh of the day.
These users thanked the author Michael Timeless for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Zaida Thibodaux wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:27 pm
Yes, but none of those is what I'm looking for. I'm spoiled to a menu driven system that can be center hinge, edge, hinge, or you can manually fix it yourself just how the door swings, and you can even use it to open and close drawers if you want - all with a menu making it easy.
Hi Zaida,
there is likely not a one fits all solution to your request as there are so many different options of doors to cover:
Rotating doors & sliding doors (including drawers), double rotating doors, double sliding doors.
While I'm currently not active in Kitely and took most of my scripts down from the market, the "Rotating Door Pro" in my shop @
https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2045824
gives a lot of options to adjust the properties (as you can read in the description). It is adjusted through chat-commands and saves the settings to a notecard.
These users thanked the author Min Tigerpaw for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I own serveral door scripts, most of which I've written myself. Which to use really depends on what kind of door you want.

It has always bugged me that LL in their infinite wisdom didn't include a simple llDoor() function in LsL. All the things one might want to do on a virtual world, and it never occurred to anyone that simply opening and closing a door might be one of them? ; )

In my years of building, I've had opportunity to create numerous types of doors:

* Standard hinged doors (I always prefer to not use a hinge... cut the door in half and pivot on the center instead)

* Phantom doors (bump it or touch it and it turns invisible and phantom-- one of my favorite methods)

* iris doors (an iris that opens like an old camera lens)

* Quarter-size resizing doors (double-cut the door, put the center up in one corner of the door frame, and resize the door to open/close it (the phantom door is far easier to script)

* Sliding door-- you can make it physically slide sideways or reduce its size sideways

* Rotating double door: Make a wide door frame and simply have the door rotate on its center axis.

* Portal door-- instantly transports you from one side of the wall to the other. A very simple script if you have land OSSL rights.

... etc etc

So there are many ways to make a door, each requiring its own individual script. Interestingly, if one knows his/her scripting, all of these doors can be linked to the house and do not require being a separate piece. Some day when I have time (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....) I should gather all my door scripts into one place and set them out as a freebie. I used to have one on Inworldz called WELD (World's Easiest Linked Door) but I'd have to hunt it down and hope it's on my computer somewhere.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerTess JuelDee Ferry 2
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ok heres my step-by-step mesh door making process.

1. Open Blender, create a "general" workspace. Go to ADD > MESH > CUBE to add a cube to the workspace, if there is not already one there by default.
Step 1
Step 1
Making a Door Step 1.png (436.45 KiB) Viewed 6372 times

2. Use the "Scale" function (left tool bar or key "s") to resize your cube to a door-like shape.
Making a Door Step 2.png
Making a Door Step 2.png (352.51 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
3. Move your Door-cube so that the "hinge edge" is at the origin point. Select hinge side face as shown.
Making a Door Step 3.png
Making a Door Step 3.png (338.32 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDee Ferry 2Tess JuelMichael TimelessSnoots Dwagon
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

4. We know that the default cube size is 2 meters, so this door is 2 meters wide. So click "Shift + D" to duplicate the selected face. Then "G" to move and "Y" to move it on the Y axis, then "-2" to move the duplicated face negative 2 meters on the Y axis. This face is our "counterbalance that ensures that the geometry of the mesh inworld has a center point right at the edge face of the door.
Making a Door Step 4.png
Making a Door Step 4.png (236.12 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

5. We also want the door to hinge on one vertical edge of the hinge face of the door, like a real door does, so we need to move this duplicated face along the x axis whatever the width of the face is.
Making a Door Step 5.png
Making a Door Step 5.png (229.37 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
6. Finally, this "counterbalance" face we've created needs to not get in the way of people in the room, so we select its bottom edge in 'edge select' mode than move the edge vertically by selecting "G" and then "Z".
Making a Door Step 6.png
Making a Door Step 6.png (339.99 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerTess JuelSnoots Dwagon