Land Impact

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Skimi Mission

Land Impact

Post by Skimi Mission »

Hello, I have a question about the LI/prims. From the past I know that the prims are not calculated as in SL. And of course, I try to build as resource saving as possible.

I am currently creating my SIM and have created a mountain in blender. The individual parts have around 400-500 vertices. When uploading via Firestorm I get a LI of 16-30 from the upload calculation. The mountain consists of 4 parts.

Inworld the mountain now has a LI of 2331. As objects that show the available prims, only 4 are used, but that's not my point. I find it scary when you look at the object properties and then see 2331.

Is it so known and indifferent for Opensim or esp. kitely users? Or have I done something wrong? In SL the mountain has inworld the 16-30 LI depending upon part.
These users thanked the author Skimi Mission for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerTess Juel
Ilan Tochner

Re: Land Impact

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Skimi,

OpenSim doesn't use Land Impact values when calculating region/parcel object capacity, it just counts the number of objects. That doesn't mean that objects that do have a high Land Impact won't negatively effect your world's performance. It's therefore always best to optimize. See: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/space ... erformance and viewtopic.php?t=3199
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Skimi MissionTess JuelKoshari Mahana
Tess Juel

Re: Land Impact

Post by Tess Juel »

Skimi Mission wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:03 am
Inworld the mountain now has a LI of 2331. As objects that show the available prims, only 4 are used, but that's not my point. I find it scary when you look at the object properties and then see 2331.
Unless your sim has performance issues you can safely ignore it.

It's the calculated physics weight with ubODE that appears to drive the land impact up. However this high value is only displayed in your viewer. As far as the server is concerned, it's only 4 prims and that's what count towards your prim limit. In other words, 2331 is just a number that shows up in the edit window in your viewer and it has no significance whatsoever.

Don't ask me why it is this way. I asked Ubit about it once and his explanation was ... I think "unconvincing" is the polite word here.

As Ilan hinted at, the prim count/land impact system we have in opensim doesn't really work for mesh at all. In extreme cases you can overload the simulator with only a handful of heavy, poorly made meshes or you can have tens of thousands lighter, well optimized ones with hardly any performance issues at all. The only real answer is to use your brain and the online monitoring tool. Let's just be thankful Kitely offers an online monitoring tool on other grids inexperienced sim builders have no guidance at all.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerSkimi MissionKoshari Mahana