Kitely Physics...Help Please!

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Moco Scribe

Kitely Physics...Help Please!

Post by Moco Scribe »

I am working on a cottage which has been exported from Second Life (as a complete object) and them imported into Kitely. I've set the physics as appropriate on the various different elements of the house but am having trouble with the stairs and I just can't see what's going wrong and am writing this to: one, get some advice as to what I maybe missing and two, check whether there are any peculiarities about the way Kitely physics works, which is something I am starting to suspect.

These are the exact same stairs with the exact same custom made physics and the exact same house as the one I sell in Second Life. There are no problem with the stairs in SL but in Kitely they work for a bit i.e. an avatar can walk up them and the next minute they can't. I uploaded the stairs to Kitely and added the custom physics, I then uploaded it with both 'analysed' physics and with the physics just added. In both cases the stairs are workable up to about 3/4s of the way up and then are un-navigable. Sometimes they work ok but mostly they don't. The house is exactly the same as the SL house so I can't see any problems there either. I've checked all objects around it to make sure that there is nothing getting in the way and there isn't.

Any help would be appreciated as at this rate I won't be able to add anything to my Kitely marketplace store and one cottage is almost ready apart from the knackered stairs. :cry:

Thanks for any advice...

The Cottage In Question
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely Physics...Help Please!

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Moco,

OpenSim physics parameters are different from those of SL, stairs being a commonly mentioned way in which they differ. The recommended workaround is to make the stairs themselves phantom and use a non-phantom invisible prim (prism shaped) to cover the stairs area. This will enable avatars to climb the stairs without changing their shape.

This problem may be resolved when Intel finishes developing BulletSim physics to replace the ODE physics engine that OpenSim currently uses.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Moco Scribe
Moco Scribe

Post by Moco Scribe »

Oh I see... i did wonder if I would have to use the old 'invisible prim' trick which I was trying to avoid... oh well at least it will be easy to fix. When will the physics be changed do you think Ilan?

Thanks
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That's a good question Moco. It may be as soon as the next major OpenSim version release but as we're not the ones developing that component I really can't say.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

If you are importing as mesh with custom mesh physics, be aware, it can mess up on importing linked objects. Importing objects singly (unlinked) tends to even things out nicely.
Also, if it is auto-generating the physics... good luck...
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Moco Scribe
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.