Prim limits

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Ander Freejack
Has thanked: 0

Prim limits

Post by Ander Freejack »

I've been using a script to get around the max prim size limits of 64m in the firestorm viewer. Today I tried to make a small prim, but even with a script I couldn't get it past 0.01 not sue if this is a Kitely or viewer limit, all so wondering what the max hallow is 95% or 99% currently with firestorm it's 95% but hopping that these change when firestorm is updated?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Prim limits

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ander,

The prim limits in Kitely are 0.001m, 256m, and 99% but various viewers can restrict you further. For details see: http://excelsior-station.wikidot.com/mi ... iewers-miv

Please note that the current latest version of Firestorm for OpenSim (version 4.3.1.31155) uses the SL limits which are more restrictive than the ones listed in Misfit's index of viewers. This has been reported to the Firestorm developers and they have already said it will be fixed in the next Firestorm for OpenSim release.
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

Prim size limit issues are normally viewer-related. In Kitely, I think the allowed max is 256x256, and the mininum size is 0.001. Hollow is 99%.

I currently use Firestorm 4.2.2 (29837), which is not the latest release, because there are issues with prim sizes in Firestorm OpenSim 4.3.1 (31155), and there is no way to edit the viewer prim size limits in that version. See Ilan's comments here http://forums.kitely.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28.

I went back to version 4.2.2 in order to take advantage of the 99% hollow and Kitely-allowed ranges in prim size, and edited an XML file (changing 2 values from 512 to 1024), but now I can't remember which file that was. Hopefully someone who remembers can post here and remind us :D

What version of the Firestorm viewer are you using? Go to Help>About Firestorm. Until they publish a fix for 4.3.1, you can download the previous version from here http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_older_downloads
Ander Freejack wrote:I've been using a script to get around the max prim size limits of 64m in the firestorm viewer. Today I tried to make a small prim, but even with a script I couldn't get it past 0.01 not sue if this is a Kitely or viewer limit, all so wondering what the max hallow is 95% or 99% currently with firestorm it's 95% but hopping that these change when firestorm is updated?
eta: LOL, Ilan posted while I was writing :)
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Yeah, what Ilan said. I went back to the Firestorm build just prior to the latest and everything is fine, made a 256 x 256 prim right away to test it out, lol. I even tested Firestorm's 10,000 meter rezzing height limit; that is pretty cool. :D

Adagio
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I went up to 200k in one grid using imp's gth command once...my avie was wonking a bit tho...lol
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

So, I was wondering. What is it about building really really high that has traditionally made it buggy? I never understood that. I guess maybe with physics there might be something? Like when you go up so high (on an earth environment) you run into reduced gravity, near vacuum conditions? But aside from physics, why would there be a difference to the simulator between being located at 100m up or 100,000 meters up?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ohn,

The problem is that when LL designed SL they made a lot of assumptions about how big the world can be. Some of those limitations are in the viewer and some where implemented in OpenSim in order to work well with the viewer. These limitations affect many systems, such as limiting how far you can teleport (the 4096 region teleport limit is a result of this), it also affects seemingly unrelated things such as map tile rendering and the amount of detail the viewer renders when coordinates go up.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Adagio Greenwood
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

LOL. I wanted to 'Like' your post Ilan as in TY for the explanation, but I didn't want to 'Like' the LL design of limitations in the viewer or that it carried over to OS.

So, tyvm for the explanation :D
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You're welcome Ohn :-)
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Thanks, Ilan, that is really interesting. I always tell my kids, "everything has a history", but we so rarely get to see the history of the things we see around us and take for granted.

Adagio