Meshes are using Bounding Box for Physics

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Brayla Sana

Meshes are using Bounding Box for Physics

Post by Brayla Sana »

Apparently there is a toggle (UseMeshiesPhysicsMesh = true in Opensim.ini) that needs to be set for meshes to use physics mesh for collision instead of bounding boxes. Can this be done please? Meshes on my sim (in my instance a staircase) are using bounding boxes instead of physics, meaning I have to phantom them and use a plane.
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!
Johnny Night

Re: Meshes are using Bounding Box for Physics

Post by Johnny Night »

Going to try to be helpful, as I think this is easily solved. Normally when uploading a mesh into SL, you select your physics dae file, then 'analyze', then calculate. For some reason, if you skip the 'analyze' part in opensim, mesh physics work as intended. I can't explain it, I just know it works.

ETA: Also noteworthy is that any 'step' whether it's prims or mesh physics over 0.25 M becomes impassable in opensim without jumping (it's ODE physics, and it may behave differently depending on which direction you're facing. Again, I can't explain it, but there it is).
Paul Wilson

Post by Paul Wilson »

When I build staircases, I will make the staircase phantom and then put in a ramp made from basic prims (usually a cube) and make it invisible.

This way it keeps the physics calculations down but still gives you the look of a complex build. It also avoids the problems with the step size limit and the rapid sort of stuttering jumps that each step causes to the avatar (giving a smother movement up or down the stairs).
These users thanked the author Paul Wilson for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Brayla Sana

Post by Brayla Sana »

Thanks. I think I was hitting "analyze."
These users thanked the author Brayla Sana for the post:
Johnny Night
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!
ShowStopper Eclipse

Post by ShowStopper Eclipse »

How do you skip the "analyze" part in Firestorm?
Johnny Night

Post by Johnny Night »

ShowStópper LadyTothian wrote:How do you skip the "analyze" part in Firestorm?
I haven't even gotten that far with the latest version. It just crashes when I upload model. On 4.22 though:
1. upload model
2. select file
3. adjust desired level of detail
4. tab over to physics
5. select custom physics file
6. click on analyze (SKIP!!)
7. click calculate and weights and fee
8. wait for it and upload

Opensim normally uploads mesh defaulted to physics shape type: prim (not convex hull for some reason). Hope that helps!
These users thanked the author Johnny Night for the post:
Dagon Xanith
ShowStopper Eclipse

Post by ShowStopper Eclipse »

I didn't even know about the "physics" tab. Funny, when I tried uploading mesh in the previous version I kept crashing, and it's been working fine in the newest Firestorm.
Lucas Cole
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lucas Cole »

It is going on crashing not getting what to do just got frustrated from it. please tell something which will avoid it crashing.
Inform me more on 3d printing metal.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Hi, if you are having difficulty uploading mesh, please remember that many of the viewers(including the latest firestorm) DO NOT fully support uploading mesh to OpenSim environments (including Kitely).

Firestorm 4.2.2.29837 for Opensim DOES fully support uploading mesh.
I think it should still be available on the Kitely viewer download page here
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

There are my experiences with mesh on OpenSim grids, it is same for me in Kitely.

Older Firestorm crashes when trying analyze physics, like Dundridge said. New Singularity do nothing, if you analyze physics. But go to Physics tab and do at least Step 1 and choose some physics, Lowest if you do not using any special file. Highest, if you want use the precise shape uf mesh. No physics for mesh is bad, you do not recognize it in Kitely (and I do not know if it is treated in Kitely some way), but in your vanilla OpenSim you get really ugly errors in your command line, and every piece of mesh without physics slows region significantly. I am not developer, hope somebody knows more on this.

If you need any other "shape" of physic, you have several options. You can link to your mesh a brand new prim as root and make him invisible by 100% alpha. You can make other mesh, upload it as single new mesh and link it to previous mesh object as root. In this case choose Highest physics when uploading or choose the same file as physics.

Every mesh, or the root prim, has several options, in Edit - Features - Physics Shapes Type. Default is "Convex hull", which is imprecise shape of your physics (prim, mesh, uploaded extra, uploaded as file during uploading mesh - does not matter). "Prim" means precise physic shape of your mesh, chosen when uploaded. It can be lowest, or physics from file, depends what was chosen during uploading of (root) mesh. "None" is not possible for root prim. But it is possible to set this option for every other linkset part then root, which make them phantom.

So if you need more precise shape of your physics, try first switch your root prim (or whole mesh, if it is one object) from Convex hull to Prim in Features. If it is not helping, check if your mesh had desired root prim, if not unlink it and change the root. Or add new root prim/mesh as root to linkset.
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.