Can the backface of a mesh not be invisible?

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Xxaxx Constantine

Can the backface of a mesh not be invisible?

Post by Xxaxx Constantine »

Just uploaded a mesh that I had been using in a different gaming engine.
That gaming engine had an option to show the backface.
This means I could make a pane of glass for a display case with a single square -- rather than a box.

Are there options that I need to set somewhere either in my 3d editing program, or in the upload, or in the model editing that will allow the back face to show the texture?

I hope the question makes sense.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Can the backface of a mesh not be invisible?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Xxaxx,

The question makes sense but, as far as I know, meshes in Second Life derived viewers only display textures on one side of a mesh. (I'd be happy to be corrected if someone knows differently).
Johnny Night

Post by Johnny Night »

Ilan Tochner wrote:The question makes sense but, as far as I know, meshes in Second Life derived viewers only display textures on one side of a mesh. (I'd be happy to be corrected if someone knows differently).
That's correct. A lot of programs have the ability to have double faced planes. Unfortunately Second Life and Opensim do not. The easiest way to fix your issue, Xxaxx, is to duplicate the plane used for the glass in your modeling program and flip the direction. You'll still use 8 vertices (like a box), but minus the additional 4 unseen faces. kinda like =
Xxaxx Constantine

Post by Xxaxx Constantine »

Thank you all for the replies.

This means that back culling is a natural part of opensim and not something I caused by my upload.

I will correct the model and re-upload.

Basically, I've been testing different 3ds to collada converts when this issue cropped up and I could tell whether this was caused by the converter or the model. Now I know.

Again, thanks for the help.