Is there an issue with bulk uploads?

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Allen Partridge

Is there an issue with bulk uploads?

Post by Allen Partridge »

Hello,

New to kitely but not to vw. I'm getting a crash on bulk upload consistently in Phoenix viewer. Are there known issues re bulk uploads? Is it not allowed to upload images from free clients? Also had issues with image tearing and degredation when attempting to restore assets from Second Inventory - any advice appreciated.

--Allen
Check out Virtually Human Builders Guides and Metaverse Ideas Center in Kitely: [url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Virtually%20Human/119/31/23[/url] or visit my YouTube Channel to see what's happening in Virtual Worlds [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/virtuallyhuman/[/youtube]
Graham Mills

Re: Is there an issue with bulk uploads?

Post by Graham Mills »

Not that I'm aware of but I mainly use Kokua. "How many and what" might be useful -- I tend to work in 10s rather than 100s. If you get stuck you could also stick them in a prim offline using sim-on-a-stick, save as an OAR and upload that.

And welcome to Kitely. I am a past purchaser of your learning game kit (whose proper name escapes me) in SL. Hope to hear your plans for Kitely in the near future.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Welcome to Kitely Allen.

I recommend you try using the OpenSim-compatible version of Firestorm as it is the viewer we test with when implementing new features. It is also the viewer the Phoenix developers themselves recommend using instead of the Phoenix viewer which they no longer support. You can download the latest version of that viewer here: http://www.firestormviewer.org/download ... d-tabs-1-1

In any case, I suggest you follow Graham's recommendation and try uploading assets in smaller groups.

If you want to move content over from Second Life, I recommend you try using Imprudence's backup function instead of using Second Inventory. Some people have reported it works better. See: http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprud ... ent_Backup
Allen Partridge

Post by Allen Partridge »

Hello Graham and Ilan and thanks for the warm welcome. I suspect that the issue with bulk is related to a string input length limitation in the viewer and not Kitely - as I'd come to the same conclusion as Graham and tried uploading smaller groups of files.

I had a few issues with Second Inventory - most notably the image degradation, but also would advise others to be aware that they'll need to ensure they port to their land in Kitely as I found myself trying to build at the wait station at first, until i deciphered the problem. I'll definitely try using the backup files in Imprudence as well - as it's always nice to get as much across in one jump as possible.

I'm experimenting with various OS grids and liked the general biz approach of Kitely so i'm spending a little time tinkering about before deciding how much time /investment to make. Feel free to ping me in world if you like - or stop by Virtually Human. Not much there at the moment, I've just managed to port the Game Kit - it is working, but I haven't tested it completely - and I seem to have a problem with temp rez prims in OpenSim not auto-deleting nicely (they wait for a sim cleanup - which can take quite a while if the world isn't heavily used.) This happens in all OS worlds that i've tried, not just Kitely.

Nice to meet you both, and look forward to seeing you around and about.

--Allen
Check out Virtually Human Builders Guides and Metaverse Ideas Center in Kitely: [url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Virtually%20Human/119/31/23[/url] or visit my YouTube Channel to see what's happening in Virtual Worlds [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/virtuallyhuman/[/youtube]
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Allen,

I'm happy you found a workaround that works for you.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.